• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

1080p flashing

mikey27

Standard Member
Hi, ive got an optoma hd20 projector. Whenever i use 1080p the picture randomly flashes white! If i use 720p, the picture is fine. My hdmi lead is 10m long.(dont know if that makes a difference).
Any ideas??
Thanks
m

s.kaddu

Banned
Hi, ive got an optoma hd20 projector. Whenever i use 1080p the picture randomly flashes white! If i use 720p, the picture is fine. My hdmi lead is 10m long.(dont know if that makes a difference).
Any ideas??
Thanks
m

I know that people had problems with cheaper quality hdmi which are of a long length. Might be useful to try it out with a different hdmi lead if you have one spare or can borrow one.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
10mtrs is fine with some hdmi leads and not with others,the band width for 1080p is a lot more than 720p.

You have two options,as already suggested try another lead or get a booster which only costs a few pounds and cheaper than an expensive hdmi lead.

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
The first 10 metre HDMI cable I bought would only pass 720p or 1080i. I spent a bit more on the second (still only around £50 IIRC) for one spec'd as 1080p. I've since run 1080/60p (the highest data rate we currently have) and it worked fine. I'm about to try sending 12 bit 1080/50p or 1080/24p soon, so I hope my cable is upto this (the cable is buried under the floor and in the walls now :eek:).

You can buy a HDMI booster/equalizer. In fact I'm looking for one (just to be on the safe side, plus I need to slightly extend my HDMI cable as I've moved my projector to the top of a bookcase and it only just reaches. If anyone knows where I can get a HDMI 1.3 capable equaliser I'd be happy to know where.:smashin:

swiftpete

Distinguished Member
The best bet is to plug in a shorter lead to test it. If it does it on another lead then it's not the lead. But it probably is the lead, I had a cheapy one that made all the colours jumble up on screen.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom