1080p - essential?

D

Deleted member 380232

So I'm almost about to plunge for a new TV but keep changing my mind between a wide variety of models.

Should I definetly get a 1080p LCD? I made the mistake of buying a Philips LCD 2 years ago which didn't have HDMI or component (this was before the days of HD ready and 360's) and now it's just not adequate.

If I go for a non-1080p will it be a similar mistake.

Also, if I do go for a 1080p which 32inch LCDs have it? I'm torn between a 32" LCD on a cabinet and a 42" Plasma (or 40"Bravia) on the wall.

Any opinions appreciated!

Upto you, you have lost out before as of connection, 1080p panels are now appearing so why buy a 1366x768 panel or a 1920x1080i panel if you can get 1080p for good price, I aint sure on screens as small as 32" with 1920x1080i/p panels, probably not get them.

I would get 1080p set, HD-DVD is right around the corner and you don't want to downscale HD-DVD (which is 1080p) to 730p.

afaik only LCD's offer 1080p for sensible money, all 1080p Plasmas are incredibly expensive.

Smallest 1080p panel is 37", but 32" should be around the corner (and not at all a waste, if using it as a PC monitor as well)

i would say YES. only becuase they are coming into the market slowly- they will become mainstream by say august 07. xbox/ps3 etc will all support 1080p.

but they are expensive at the moment- 32" wont have 1080p since they are too small a screen to notice the difference between 1080i and 1080p

HD DVD is out now, so yeah, a TV that can show all of that lovely detail is a great choice!

I currently use my HD DVD player on a 1366x768 TV and it still looks astonishing, but if you're buying a new one and can fit a 40" or bigger screen in your home, get a 1080p one.

go see a 1080p screen and see if you can see the difference ?

i have a 40w2000+ sky HD and alot depends on the bit rate so dvd is supposed to be better

well wrt to sky hd i cant see much diff if anything between 720p and 1080i unless less than 3 feet away

i will buy a 1080p machine because i want the best while my eyes are good enough to appreciate it and i have no life and work to hard.

as far as i am concerned it is a personnel choice and how deep your pockets are- some people if they are paying 2 times the price want twice the pq but others will gladly pay this for even a 5% improvement and think we are talking about single figure differrences between 720p 1080i and 1080p unless you have a 50+ screen

azz

^true - but everything will be progressive scan based in the very near future - like xbos/ps3..

Can anyone reccommend any 1080p LCD screens that aren`t ridiculously expensive?

What size? The 37" Sharp XD1 is £1000. 42" £1100 so pretty good value- extra 4" for only £100! (although the 42" lacks 4 wave backlight)

Can anyone reccommend any 1080p LCD screens that aren`t ridiculously expensive?

Check out the Samsung F71 series (thread HERE) which can be had for £1500-£1600 (for 40") or the Goodmans 42" (thread HERE) which can be had for £1300 at Littlewood.

im in a similiar situation. i want to get a 32'...nuthin bigger due to the size of my bedroom but I personally think 1080p is only worth having on bigger screen (37' up)...would i be correct in thinking this

I used to hear that line a lot, "you don't need 1080p on that screen size", but to be honest I think we'll hear it less and less as the years go by.

As good as 1080p HD DVDs look on my KDL-32V2000, you can see downscaling artefacts occasionally (as you'd expect).

ofcourse soon every LCD will be 1080p once HD becomes mainstream(many more channels in HD)

but tbh as 32 screens are so cheap any is it worth waiting 6-12 months for 1080p models???

also do you really need 1080p in a bedroom??? most people are buying 37/42+ for living rooms now days also it will not look that good with the shoddy SD pictures we will be getting from all channels for the next few years

there will only be 1 1080p set in my house and thats the living room since this is where the skyHD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD will be for the next 2-3 years.

ofcourse soon every LCD will be 1080p once HD becomes mainstream(many more channels in HD)
HD wont be "mainstream" anytime soon and certainly nothing is planned to be broadcast in 1080p.

HD wont be "mainstream" anytime soon and certainly nothing is planned to be broadcast in 1080p.

So you say - but when I bought my cruddy LCD (minus HDMI and component) 2 years ago I didn't know things like 360s and Telewest HD would be so affordable and in need of HD inputs.

I take it no-one has ever seen a 32" 1080p telly then?

I have tried Gran Turismo HD on my 46 inch Bravia X. The quality is simply stunning. Blu ray films look crisp as anything as well.

I would buy one anyway to make sure. You can't go wrong with getting a 1080p screen. They are coming down in price as well.

Can people please confirm which TVs DEFINITELY output 1080p and whether it is over VGA as well as HDMI.

Thank you

Gran Turismo HD has been cancelled, but they released a demo of it anyway just to tie fans over until GT5.

Well it's a full but limited game. You can race cars, change options etc.

It does look stunning though.

also do you really need 1080p in a bedroom??? most people are buying 37/42+ for living rooms now days also it will not look that good with the shoddy SD pictures we will be getting from all channels for the next few years

That's a good point...SD can look dodgy upscaled on a 1366x768 screen with a poor feed, I assume it can look even worse upscaled to 1920x1080.

Isn't the XBOX 360 standard 720P as well :confused: Although I guess that will change as time goes on.

That's a good point...SD can look dodgy upscaled on a 1366x768 screen with a poor feed, I assume it can look even worse upscaled to 1920x1080.

Isn't the XBOX 360 standard 720P as well :confused: Although I guess that will change as time goes on.

Since I moved to Sky HD it's been a massive change in how you view normal channels. Documentarys on SD fare the worst. But also your realise how big the differance can be between differant SD channels. Hoping to avoid non SD now. With Blu Ray and Sky HD I'm getting there.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom