1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1080p DLP projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by nwhitta, Aug 29, 2005.

1. nwhitta

nwhitta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I see that Texas Instruments now make a DLP chip with a resolution of 1080p. DLP rear projection TVs are already available with this technolgy. I have just read a test in a US magazine for a Mitsubishi 1080p DLP TV on sale in the States for US$3700. How long before this technology is available in projectors in the UK market?

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
    I don't think they will be using that 1080 chip for front projectors, as it's a 'wobulation' chip that uses diamond array mirrors and is really only 540p resolution. Apparently it won't look so convincing on a large screen if used for front projection.

We may be a year away from true 1080 DLP, but with Cedia coming up soon, who knows...

Gary.

3. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    I was wondering about that. If you can make a wobulation chip focus on a rear view glass screen, then is there any reason why you can't get it to focus on a front view screen? DLP PJs have been stuck at 720p for too long, now. It's about time they moved on and up.

Nick

4. wassap

wassap
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Do we even have 1080i source material yet? I do recall the the new sony playstation 3 will be 1080i capable.

I think cedia will be very interesting this year.

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
    It's not that they can't make front projectors with it, I think it's just a case of the wobulation chip looks 'odd' when blown up to large sizes. TI have 1080 in the pipeline, it's just a matter of when.

I believe 1080 exists in the USA, and is present on HD via a Euro Sat service, but what Sky will use I don't know exactly. I think Sports are 720p, and movies might be both 720p and 1080i, but we'll have to see.

Gary.

6. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +659
    Oh boy, here we go.

1) The chip you're referring to uses an array of 960x1080 mirrors. The number 540 is not involved anywhere.

2) Use of the label "540p" (despite being entirely wrong anyway) implies that we're dealing with a resolution comparable to SD (480p or 576p) which is inappropriate.

3) The eventual display produced by the chip consists of 1920x1080 pixels, each of which is individually updated 60 times per second. There is no sense in which it is not a true 1080p display.

"Apparently"? According to whom, exactly? Most reviewers of the 1080p Samsung rear projection sets have been raving about them - they've even been compared to the Sony Qualia SXRD rear pro model. If you can produce a class-leading rear-projection picture on a 67" screen, I see no reason to assume that the technology won't scale up to front projection.

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
    <snip>

Yup, my bad, I wasn't thinking and should have checked first. Thanks for pulling me up on it.

I say apparently because it's just something I vaguely remember picking up from avs, and the quality of the RP sets wasn't in question. I do wonder why it hasn't gone into an FP already since so many people are clamoring for 1080 so I would have thought it would have sold very well until a true 1080 DLP display was in production (and may have continued to sell as a lower end model perhaps). Do you know why it hasn't happened yet?

Gary.

8. Carl Ed

Carl Ed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not true 1080p in the the sense that there isn't 1920x1080 pixels active at any one time.

The wobulation chips are like 100Hz 1080i, except on the horizontal axis rather than the vertical.

9. pinky3003

pinky3003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    wobulation .....is that a made up word ???

10. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    No it's an HP patent.

11. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +659
    Well, if you want to look at it like that, a 720p DLP display isn't "true" 720p either, because most of the pixels are switched off most of the time.

A 1080i display consists of an array of 1920x1080 pixels, each of which is refreshed 30 times a second. There are 60 refreshes per second, each of which updates half the pixels.

A 1080p display consists of an array of 1920x1080 pixels, each of which is refreshed 60 times a second. The 1080p DLP chips fall within that definition. If you feed them 60 full 1920x1080 frames per second there is no loss of information. The fact that the 60 frames per second is handled internally as 120 fields per second is neither here nor there - 1080p means 60 full 1920x1080 frames per second, and it handles that.

The only irritation with the current generation of rear-pro DLP is that they can't accept a digital 1080p input signal. They can accept analogue 1080p or digital 1080i, though.

12. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    Is a CRT a one pixel display, then?

13. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
  14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,570
    Hello all

Like most folk on here I'm doing my homework too - whilst looking forward to whatever is just around the corner.

Wobulation is, as Jeff points out, an HP technology - and not one that's included in any current products as far as I know.

TI have released the SmoothPicture 1080p DLP™ technology for the Consumer market (RPTV only so far) as a way of getting 1080p into the mass market for a fraction of its true 1080p technology.

I'm guessing the 'is it or isn't it' 1080p arguments will rage alongside the 'ALiS is true 1024x1024' - or not; depending on your view of the technology.

TI's DC2K (2048x1080) true 1080p Chip is not going to be sitting in your Home Theatre any time soon - unless you have the $250K Runco want for the Signature Cinema SC-1.

From what I've read the SmoothPicture technology is very good though the way the 'pixels' overlap causes a slight softening of the image - though I'm sure with a decent source signal its still way above the expectations of all but the most serious Anoraks amongst us :).

As Gary says no sign so far of a DLP Projector that incorporates the SmoothPicture technology - when you read what little info there is on this technology on the TI web site its very definitely DLP TV Technology not DLP Projection Technology.

See http://dlp.com/home_entertainment/home_entertainment_feature_article_2.asp

Best regards

Joe