1080p and sky HD

broono83

Standard Member
i understand sky HD doesn`t support 1080p. I am wanting to get and LCD tv with this setting. will it just be a case of a software update for the sky box or will it never have this setting?

hornydragon

1080p is a long way off, it takes up too much bandwidth for broadcast, and there are many reasons why a 1080p screen wont look as good a lower res display

MORE PIXELS DONT MAKE A BETTER PICTURE

broono83

Standard Member
hornydragon said:
1080p is a long way off, it takes up too much bandwidth for broadcast, and there are many reasons why a 1080p screen wont look as good a lower res display

MORE PIXELS DONT MAKE A BETTER PICTURE

what reasons?

i just want the tv to be as future proofed as possible

Mike_CA

The reason for 1080p is for blue-ray, hd dvd, or pc connectivity. Even in those cases it probably will not make a significant difference. As far as Sky, they may eventually have a 1080p selectable capable STB in the future but the transmissions are likely not to be 1080p so it won't make any difference.

richard plumb

if you're watching video - like a footy match, then it isn't being recorded in 1080p for the foreseeable future.

If you're watching a movie in 1080i, then it has all the informaiton there, as movies are only 24fps, not the 50 of 1080i. So a good deinterlacer on a TV or projector would be able to recreate the full 1080p image of the original.

1080p is just something the marketing guys are throwing out there to make their stuff seem better than yours.