1080p/24hz plasma - does anybody make them?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by johncicatrix, Jan 9, 2008.

1. johncicatrix

johncicatrix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to buy a full HD 42 inch plasma, and I'd like it to handle the 1080p/24hz from my sparkly new Tosh HD DVD. Does such a TV exist? I understand that if the TV's refresh rate isn't a multiple of 24, judder can become apparent on motion shots. Is this true? Any advice on the best TV for me would be welcome

ATB johncicatrix

2. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    Hi johncicatrix,

The only Plasmas I know of that fully support true 24p playback for judder free motion are the Pioneer Kuros (all models). You will see others such as the Panasonic PX70 and PZ70 but these are only 24p compatible. In other words, they don't play at 24p. They just re-process the signal to 50 or 60hz (and not 24,48,72hz as a trued 24p set would). However, I do believe the both the Panasonic PX70 and PZ70 play brilliantly at 24p (which effectively is the same as 1080p). I would demo these models in a shop. Obviously the main concern (and only in my opinion) is the hefty price tag of the Pioneer).

If you are insisting on Plasma then these are your only options. If you don't mind LCD then there are many more options at far more competative prcies.

EG:
    Sony V3000 for around £900 (40 inch)
    Toshisba 42Z3030D £950 (42 inch)

Hope this helps :smashin:

3. johncicatrix

johncicatrix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks for this Vipergrm
    I have been somewhat put off LCD by alleged deficiencies vs Plasma, although the best TV I have seen showing normal broadcast (sky) is a Philips. Perhaps I need to trust my eyes and stop poring over forums!

4. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    You shouldn't be put off too much by LCDs. There's an awful lot of advantages to having one (yes, I know Plasma has better blacks etc). For example, you can get a really hugh spec LCD for much less than an equivalent Plasma. The only full HD Plasmas I know of are from Panasonic and Pioneer. The PZ70 is an excellent set and can be had for around £900 but I believe they are very difficult to get as they appear to be sold out every where.

I see you are in Belfast (I am too). Pop into the Euronics Centre in town for a look as they are about as competative as I have seen over here. If you want a really big telly they have a Sony 55" SXRD set for £999. This is an unbelievable price and the TV is absolutely brilliant. Bare in mind it is Rear Projection and takes up a little bit of space (but not as much as even a 28" CRT would). The only problem with this shop is that the feeds are rubbish and the TVs are set up very badly. However, the prices are great and definately compare with the best online prices. Take a not of the models you like and check them out on the internet before buying :smashin:

5. JeffD

JeffD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    The 2008 Panasonic range will have a 42" 1080p panel that will accept 1080p/24 and display at multiple of 24Hz. See this thread

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=683394

and look for the PZ range. UK release dates haven't been announced yet, but they are expected March/April time.

6. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Huge spec LCD?? You mean it's got lots of pixels. So you have sharpned up your turd LOL!!!

To the OP - stick with your initial idea and get a plasma. The Pioneer is the best plasma TV on the market, you won't be disappointed. As the other guy says, RPTV is a good option but make sure it will 2:2 or 3:3 your 24p input. Personally I would just go and get a Kuro.

7. johncicatrix

johncicatrix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one - I'll check Euronics out. One last question: How do I check if a model is 1080p/24hz compatible - it doesn't seem to be stated in the spec of most TV's.
    thanks again for the top info and quick response vipergrm

8. johncicatrix

johncicatrix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably should have stated my budget is £1500 max. ps what's RPTV?

9. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Rear Projection TV. But few have 24p modes. I think JVCs and Sonys are OK. Actually not sure about the Sonys now I think about it.

£1,500 I think you will have to wait until the pannies come out (a few months I'm afraid not really a solution for now). Mind you, Pioneer 4280XD can be had for just a teeny bit more than £1,500 and you are getting a better built TV than a Panny in my opinion.

10. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    Exactly - RPTV stands for Rear Projection TV.

I have seen both Sony SXRD and JVC's SXRD variant. The Sony is far and away better. However, I don't believe either of them support 24p. In fact, I'm pretty sure they don't. You'll probably find that the set will look dull in the shop but once you see it at the correct viewing angle and realistice lighting conditions you'll appreciate how good it is.

Anyway now that you have said your budget is £1500 then that's an easy decision. Get the Pioneer Kuro 4280XD. You should be able to get one at this price. Note that this particular version is 1024x768 (not full HD) but DO NOT PANIC! It is far and away better than anything else out there. Full HD is a bit of a myth actually. It's all about the quality of the video processing and no one can come close to Pioneer here. Not even Panasonic. And the black levels are phenominal. I saw the 50" version (which is Full HD incidentally) and when I walked passed it I thought the TV was off, but it was just a blank part of the demo that was showing. I was totally stunned. Never have I seen such quality. I would fully expect the 42" version to look as good as this. It is also the best for SD sources too and has good connectivity (3 HDMI, 3 SCART etc).

Honestly, if you are heart set on a Plasma then there is nothing better. FORGET THE FACT THAT IT IS NOT FULL HD. I gaurentee this will not matter whatsoever as it is the quality of the video processing. Read any review and this one is top of the pile every where. In fact, it was named 'What-Hi-Fi' product of the year. And yes, it does fully support 24p :)

Best of luck my friend :smashin:

11. FuzzyinLondon

FuzzyinLondon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Totally agree with vipergrm. I've had my 4280XD for a week now and I'm blown away. Yes, it's more expensive but at 42" there is not a better tv for both SD and HD sources. You should definitely be able to get one for £1500. If you but in-store from a good dealer, you should also be able to get the 5year Pio warranty included.

PS. I have never owned a plasma before but I'm thrilled with tv. This forum has been a great source of info. Be sure to check out the owners' thread for ********' settings if you do get one.

12. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    Here's some info on the warranty. http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/content/press/news/fiveyear.html

According to the page above, you must purchase it from one of their 'approved' stores. Not sure which stores they mean. I'm sure it wouldn't do any harm to contact Pioneer and find out what you need to do. Good luck:smashin:

13. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    LOL yep. Actually, it's apparently cheaper for manufacturers to build full HD screens. Didn't know that until recently ;)

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Economies of scale, nothing more. At 42" there's little need for 1080p unless it's in use as a PC monitor, ie 3ft from the glass. However, the market demands it, and 95% of buyers have no HD sources, so they do indeed have a very sharp turd in their living room.

15. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    Summed up brilliantly :smashin: