1080iVs 720p

pure_geordie

Prominent Member
Reaction score
A simple Q here me thinks, running my DVD player and using both these upscaled I've noticed that 1080i is far superior than 720p or am I doing something wrong. I've tried both these via my HDMI connection and that is what I've found out or would I see an
improvement via component on 720p :eek:

Anybody:smashin:
:lease: :lease:

I also found that upscaled 1080i looked better than 720p over HDMI from my DVD player - but only very slightly better.

I very much doubt using the component output would reverse the situation.

mmmm interesting I've read a lot of people prefer 720p over 1080i.
cannot see it myself although it might be because i've bought a crappy DV490instead of the DV696:D

This is most likely nothing to do with scaling, but more to do with deinterlacing.
It sounds like the deinterlacing inside your DVD player isn't as good as your display.
Have you also tried 576i versus 576p (or 480i versus 480p if you're playing american discs) - that would be a good test.

Can you pixel map your display, or are you always running through its scaler as well?

If your display is always scaling, then as tryingtimes suggests, feed it the native res of your source (576i).

I've seen 720p out of a range of DVD players look quite nasty.

I've tried all different resolutions and found that 576i is best.

576p 720p are not particulary good, 1080i isn't brilliant either:eek:

Yes, this isn't particularly unexpected. Upscaling DVD players and displays often use cheapish chips to do the deinterlacing - you never know which is going to do a better job. In your case it's the display.
You will no doubt benefit from a proper external scaler, but obviously they add a lot of expense.
The benefit with a scaler over buying a better DVD player is that all your sources would benefit.

Cheers,
Hopefully the DV-696 will be better as i'm exchanging my 490 for this.
as the 490 are not good for playing PAL dvd's:mad:

It could well tip the balance, yes.
I'm way behind on DVD player models though as I'm more an SDI kind of guy.

Has anybody else found this a problem using this DVD player (DV490).

Interlaced is much better then progressive, especially 576i all others arn't as good picture.

Cheers

This is like the RGB vs component question.

No particular video format is really much better than another when it comes to interconnection. It's largely down to what each bit of kit does with the signal. Personally I don't see the point of 1080i for SD sources. It's a well know saying in these pages that if 1080i looks best, then your system is broken. It'll take a while to explain why.....

Best regards, Nick

welwynnick said:
It's a well know saying in these pages that if 1080i looks best, then your system is broken. It'll take a while to explain why.....

Best regards, Nick

LOL!!!

pure_geordie said:
Has anybody else found this a problem using this DVD player (DV490).

Interlaced is much better then progressive, especially 576i all others arn't as good picture.

Cheers
You'll probably get similar but not 100% consistent answers to that. As Nick said, you would pretty much expect that with a low end upscaling DVD player and a decent display.

But if you had a that high end Denon player with the Gennum chip in it, into a Matsui plasma, then the reverse would almost certainly be true.

Even then, you wouldn't be getting the best out of the Denon though as the cheap display would still mess about with the nice clean signal the Denon produced. But at least if it was 720p, it wouldn't be trying to do a hatchet job deinterlacing it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom