1080i VS 720P

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Patbateman69, Aug 20, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Patbateman69

Patbateman69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Gents, what are you opinions on 1080i Vs 720p when either using an upscaling dvd player or xbox 360 on an Lcd?

I really can't tell any difference at all, but i've seen various people swearing by one resolution over the other.

This is connected to a 32 sony S series BTW - Any opinions?

2. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    You have a 720p native set - use 720p. You only want to use 1080i if you have a 1080i/p capable TV when upscaling. Downscaling is slightly different though - SkyHD, HD-DVD, BluRay are 1080 sources, so it depends on whether your TV or the device does a better job downscaling that to the 720p resolution you need. With the BRAVIAs, you're probably best to use 1080i in that situation, but many HDTVs do a poor job with 1080i that effectively only gives you 540 lines of resolution out of 1080i, in which case 720p would be better. (720 lines of resolution)

3. $$Buck-Naked$$

$$Buck-Naked$$

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Use 1080i as it gives you the sharpest and best image quality as it uses the full resolution of your HDTV something 720p doesn't.

4. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    So there... . . . that should of helped you!! :rolleyes: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

5. David

David
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have experimented with 720p vs 1080i with my 19" Samsung 940mw screen (1440x900) and I can definitely see a difference with 1080i being a bit sharper. I also took my hi-def camcorder into a store yesterday and compared the picture on a few different sets. Phillips 42" LCD - picture didn't look that great. Panasonic 42xp60 - picture looked v good but I could see less detail. Sony 46x2000 (1080p) - picture looked fantastic and noticably more detailed to me and everyone watching. I think this does rather fly in the face of the recent BBC research though. Perhaps its just better processing but there looked to be far more detail on the Sony.

6. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
  7. almightygoodgod

almightygoodgod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +419
    gents? little bit sexist isn't it?

8. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    1080i gives half the temporal resolution that 720p does. What you gain in pixels, you loose in update frequency. Plus 1080i is often only 1440x800 ish.

What to choose is highly dependant on the equipment and type of source material (especially film or video based) is being watched. With a 32" display, at some point, the image is going to have to be scaled and probably deinterlaced - either by the source player or the display itself. You then need to decide whether the display or source is going to do a better job of either of these functions. Generally choose the resolution that best matches the resolution of the source material, then work from there. You may even find that a non upscaled but progressive output works best.

Choose what looks best to you. If you can't tell any difference, it doesn't matter which one you choose.

9. $$Buck-Naked$$

$$Buck-Naked$$

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I've read the highlighted on some threads now but thats such bs!
    1080i is 1920x1080 nothing less.
    Interlaced refreshes scanlines 1/30th of a sec whereas Progressive scan refreshes 1/60th of a sec.
    This should theoretically give you better picture in motion when using Progressive scan but blurring never bothered my in the old days when my old TV was only running 576i.
    Just like with 1080i vs 1080p it's almost all theoretical because in practice almost no differents can be noticed.

10. Jet_Set_Jim

Jet_Set_Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    You don't seem to know what you're talking about, yet you call a respected senior member's post (which was accurate) 'bs'. That's not very mature.

11. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Let's keep this on track guys.

12. Patbateman69

Patbateman69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    :D Have i opened a can of worms here.
    AndyFee - You said the set is native 720P, but isn't it also native 1080i?

As for my eyes being the judge, i honestly cannot see the difference trying a movie or the xboxs main menu, no difference at all.

As far as i can definitly see...especially from the images posted in the x series thread, is that 1080p is the definitive hd image, it has a 3d look to it i havent seen on a 1080i or 720p

Is there any movies you guys recommend in which you think you can visibly see s difference in? and which resolution does it look better/worse in?

:thumbsup: Thanks for the detailed responses so far

13. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,232
    Any pixel-based screen (that's LCOS, LCD, Plasma, DLP etc etc) has got only ONE native resolution - it's determined by the number of pixels in the array.

The TV in question has 720 rows of pixels - that makes it 720 native. It can't be anything else "as well" although it may be able to handle other resolutions.

Also, ALL* pixel-based displays are inherently progressive.

Any pixel-based screen can ONLY display it's native resolution. In the case in point, this screen CAN ONLY display 720p.

Anything incoming that IS NOT 720p is re-scaled (up or down) and by the screen's electronics. And, if it's interlaced incoming, then it's de-interlaced, too.

That means, if you drive such a screen with 1080i then the incoming has to be downscaled to 720 AND de-interlaced for display.

THEORETICALLY, it will always produce a better result if a mis-matched source is only re-scaled once.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

* Except one particular type of Plasma

14. meggie_dude

meggie_dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Well I think you have had an answer here and quite a few opinions. I fall into the camp of - trust your eyes.
    At the end of the day as LV426 has correctly pointed out that this the theory.
    I too have a 720p native resolution screen - like most of the HD-Ready sets out there at the moment.
    I fully expected therefore that 720p from an upscaled DVD player would look better than 1080i because that is the native res of the set and the refresh rate is better. However to my eyes anyway it does not.
    Its still best to ignore the theory and trust your eyes at the end of the day. If you can't see a refresh issue, particularly on fast moving images, and the resolution looks better than 720p, then stick with 1080i - I have.
    But ask your partner/kids etc as well. They may see things differently.

15. Patbateman69

Patbateman69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Well my eyes say no differtence, as i said, the next big difference for me is 1080P

I will set my mates up to 720P then for xbox and upscaled movies.

Cheers guys (and girls):clap:

16. hottstuff

hottstuff
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    1080i looks better on all sources on my 9830.

17. ixtlan

ixtlan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It may be a bit pendantic... but it is worth pointing out that very very few LCD TVs are native 720 lines.

The Sony mentioned and 99% of the others are 768 native, and they all do scaling. They are also 1368 native pixels across and that too is scaled from the broadcast number.

Yes, perhaps it's easy enough to scale 720 up to 768, rather than 1080i down to 768, but either way it's scaling.

Ix.

18. bigbadmuller

bigbadmuller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Cos thats a 1080i panel. Well to be pedantic its a 1080p panel limited to 1080i cos of its onboard processing.

Many LCD TV's are 1366x768 though in which case you're probably better off sticking with 720p unless you have a crazy good scaler. But end of the day, use your eyes. If it looks better use it. :)

19. hottstuff

hottstuff
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I'm aware of it's native resolution.
    My point being 1080 is better on all sources on the display , including sports & progressive material.

20. mickrick

mickrick
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    So with 1080i my screen is nly fully refreshed every 2/60ths of a second? I'm sorry, I just can't live with that. I'm going back to good old analogue 50hz crt. He says sarcastically.:lease:

21. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Well if you think its bs go and read the manufacturers specs for the broadcast video cameras commonly used at present. You will see that its normally 1440x1080 recorded to tape. Add approx 25% loss of vertical resolution due to the video deinterlacing process/low-pass filtering etc and you are down to approx 1440x810 (ok I previously said 800). Yes. It may be a 1920x1080 signal into your display but the underlying video is much lower resolution.

http://digitalcontentproducer.com/hdhdv/depth/video_highresolution_dv/index.html

This probably explains why for alot of material, many people cannot tell the difference between 720p and 1080i.