1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1080i via component

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by sefton, Oct 1, 2004.

1. sefton

sefton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone recommend a DVD player recordeer/HD which will output 1080i via component and will definately work with my Philips 30PF9975. Also from the things i've read my 30PF9975 will only accept PAL progressive so this has to be a considering factor.

Cheers

Mike

2. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
  3. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
  4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    AV, what are those links for?

The 30fp9975 will take a 1080i image through component. Don't know about dvd players though.

And as the screen has a great scaler built in, I don't know how much benefit you'd get (also taking into account the size of screen)

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    as i think i have said there is very little point in scaling DVD to 1080i as DVD PAL only has 576 lines of PQ Data if you want to playy the scaler game then get a scaler like the Iscan HD which will scale all sources to 1080i if you want it to. Philips will only downscale image back to native res anyway so its a waste of money

6. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    The links were to confirm signal input compatibility on the set, which it appeared you were asking about.

If you were asking which DVD players up-scale to 1080i, then the DVD player forum is the place to ask. As Horny says though, questionable whether this will be any benefit. Might have been interesting to see what 720p looked like from a player with decent video processing, but unfortunately the Philips doesn't accept it.

7. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    At the moment, as far as I'm aware, there are no dvd recorders with built in upscalers. If you're looking for 720p/1080i upscaling, you need to look to dvd players of £800-1000. Also, won't plasma/lcd's already have built in scalers!?

8. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    the 30pf9975 has a very good scaler, so feeding it 480p from a good progressive DVD player should be fine. I feed it svideo and it still looks great.

9. sefton

sefton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My original intention of this thread was to vastly improve the quality of my LCD and I've learnt alot about what you can and can't do (thanks to you guys).

I'm VERY happy with my Philips 30PF9975 after fiddling about with the settings, buying a decent QED scart cable and buying the Sony freeview box for normal TV (fantastic pic!). I think I would be more than happy with a good progressive DVD HD.