1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1080i or 720P wiyj Tosh 46" Dlp

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Paulherb, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Paulherb

Paulherb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,
    I've just hooked up my new Samsung HD945 with my Tosh and was wondering what settings you guys are using. The Tosh's manual states it works best with 1080i although my untrianned eye cant tell the difference between 10801 and 720p.

Any help would be most welcome!

Cheers

Paulh.

2. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Glad i'm not the only one Paul, i can't seem to notice a difference between 480, 720, or 1080. I've got the Tosh 46" and the Denon 2910 player, i've paused scenes and then switched the scaling from 720 - 1080 etc, and can't notice any difference at all. On the Denon 2910 you have the following output settings:-

DVI, HDMI RGB, & HDMI Y CB R ? or some lettering like that anyway.

I can definately notice a difference between HDMI RGB and HDMI Y CB R, as on Gladiator HDMI RGB gives a really weird dark shadowy look to Maximus's eyes, whilst HDMI Y CB R gives a really nice bright colourfull and clear image.

I mentioned this over in the DVD section and was advised that HDMI RGB is mainly for projector screens displaying text and that i should leave the setting on HDMI Y CB R, as this is meant for home cinema.

But getting back to the scaling issue, i mentioned this issue in another thread, and i think it was Damon, said that you won't notice much difference on still images, as the different settings also affect picture motion, which will only be noticable when playing a DVD. But i still can't notice any difference, i would have thought that the changes would have been dramatic. It's also bugging me wondering whether the TV is scaling it or the DVD player, as i think the DVD player would do a better job. You just really don't know whats doing what, as on the DVD player display panel it states the output setting - i.e., HDMI 720/1080 or whatever your outputing, but you never really now whether the TV is changing that setting internally and doing something else with it as theres no way of checking the input signal being received and projected by the TV! Anybody else with any ideas?

3. fleagledog

fleagledog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have a Denon 2910 and can tell you that if you set the Denon to 480, the Tosh shows it at 4:3, regardless of input. I also cannot see any difference between 720&1080 although I would have thought that as the Tosh native resolution is 1280x720, showing it at anything above 720 would be pointless. Thanks also for clearing up the RGB/Y CB R settings. Is there another thread that I can read on this?

4. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Fleagledog: The thread that the HDMI RGB and HDMI Y CB CR (forgive me if those letters are wrong as i keep getting them mixed up with the component connection) is http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179056

As for the 4:3 issue via 480 HDMI, i'll have to take a look at this tonight, as i can't remember the picture changing to 4:3 as this would have made the picture smaller right?

5. fleagledog

fleagledog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Soni
    Yes, it will give you the side black bands when the Tosh is in HDMI mode. There is a squeeze setting on the Denon which I have not tried yet which may change this. Thanks for the thread link.

6. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Fleagledog: On one of the DVD menu's you can change the output from progressive to interlaced - have you tried changing this setting yet? - as i tried this the other evening and still couldn't notice any difference.

Your only the second person i've heard on here that has the same set-up - any other Tosh 46" & DVD 2910 owners out there?

7. Paulherb

Paulherb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the your responses gents!

Paulh.

8. fleagledog

fleagledog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

My 2910 is going through the HDMI interface so as I understand it, these settings wont make any difference. They only apply if you connect via the component leads.

9. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have also got mine connected via HDMI, probably explains it then – the 2910 manual is absolutely pants, I can’t understand much of it - the translator they’ve used is terrible!

I’ve also got the Denon 3802 Amp and the instruction manual for that is a lot better and clearer. Whilst writing, since I’ve recently been searching for an answer as to what is scaling what, I’ve been looking at picture quality quite closely, and I’ve noticed that most SKY digital feeds have jaggies, but not DVD, that I suppose is our question answered and is a good indication that the 2910 is fulfilling its task in the scaling department – as the internal scaler within the TV must be re-scaling the SKY feed hence the jaggies but lets the DVD player scale the DVD feed – which does the job a lot better!

10. fleagledog

fleagledog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0