1080i or 720p on 360 hd-dvd

dvd76

Established Member
Reaction score
What do most forum users have as their HD setting on their 360 - 720p or 1080i, my TV does not support 1080p. I heard progressive is better and than interlace, although im not sure the difference between the two.
thanks.

Depends on how good your display is at handling scaling.

Best advice is to pick the resolution that looks the best on your display.

Spend some time watching one format then the other to see which one gives the best results.

For movies the interlacing doesn't make a difference because it's from a 24p source... most displays can tell this and switch off all the 'smart' deinterlace off, and use a simple weave (the better ones can also remove the half frame added in the 24p->60i conversion and retrieve the proper 24p source, known as 3:2 pulldown).

So ultimately the difference comes down to what looks better to you, which depends really on the display.

watched KK last night in 1080i via component into a sony 40w2000 and it was great - no reason to even try 720!

watched KK last night in 1080i via component into a sony 40w2000 and it was great - no reason to even try 720!

but what if it's better at 720p? surely it's worth trying?

but what if it's better at 720p? surely it's worth trying?

well, yes its worth trying i guess, but as its a 1080 tv i would always prefer to go with 1080, but i will have a look at 720 :)

I have tried both and 1080i edges for me....just slightly sharper.

sorry, being thick here , where do you change it from 720 to 1080 i, is it just the resolution change in the xbox settings.

sorry, being thick here , where do you change it from 720 to 1080 i, is it just the resolution change in the xbox settings.

You can change it in the purple blade on the dashboard under display.

I run 1080p over the VGA cable but have experimented with 1080i and 720p. I always found that 1080i looks quite washed out and needs fine tuning to make it look as colourful as 720p but 1080i seems to be more detailed.

So I would say 720p looks better out of the box but 1080i looks the best with picture tuning/adjustments.

I have tried 1080i and 720p via component and I find 1080i very slightly sharper but the colours are a little washed out. 720p's colours look much more vibrant to me. Anyone else found this, what differences have you noticed?

*I only have the King Kong disc so far.

Think I prefer 1080i (via component into my Panny PX60). Looks a little sharper. Not noticed the colours being any more washed out though.

Think I prefer 1080i (via component into my Panny PX60). Looks a little sharper. Not noticed the colours being any more washed out though.

I noticed it on the jungle scenes, e.g. Kong Vs V Rex. The greens were lusher when using 720p I thought. 1080i was slightly sharper though.
I'm thoroughly confused of what to use to be honest. They are very similar, although isn't progressive suppossed to better than interlaced?

I noticed it on the jungle scenes, e.g. Kong Vs V Rex. The greens were lusher when using 720p I thought. 1080i was slightly sharper though.
I'm thoroughly confused of what to use to be honest. They are very similar, although isn't progressive suppossed to better than interlaced?

I'll check some of those scenes to see if I notice a difference. What small difference I do see in sharpness at the moment is pretty minimal though - really have to search for it!

Tryed 720p and 1080i on my sony 32V2000. 1080i looks sharper but seems to suffer from jagged edges on fast moving diagonal objects 720p doesnt suffer from this. colour wise they both look equal. this is on component. VGA just looks horrid on both my sony s series and v series. soo washed out and soft looking.

Overall 720p wins out for me:)

Chris

Tryed 720p and 1080i on my sony 32V2000. 1080i looks sharper but seems to suffer from jagged edges on fast moving diagonal objects 720p doesnt suffer from this. colour wise they both look equal. this is on component. VGA just looks horrid on both my sony s series and v series. soo washed out and soft looking.

Overall 720p wins out for me:)

Chris

I may be wrong, but the 32V does not support 1080i - its a 720 panel... isn't it?

I may be wrong, but the 32V does not support 1080i - its a 720 panel... isn't it?

Yes it does support 1080i as in I = Interlaced, doesnt do 1080p though:( . most current panels will do 1080i even my S series from last year will do 1080i, seems 1080p is limited to 40" + at the mo though

Yes it does support 1080i as in I = Interlaced, doesnt do 1080p though:( . most current panels will do 1080i even my S series from last year will do 1080i, seems 1080p is limited to 40" + at the mo though

Ah, I see - I thought that the V had 720 pixels, not 1080 :)

You can always tell when someone hasn;t bothered to calibrate there display.lol

"VGA looks washed out"

Lower the brightness and contast and set the refresh to movie and then tell me VGA looks washed out.:D

VGA calibrated dumps all over component.

R.
Nigel

"VGA looks washed out"

Lower the brightness and contast and set the refresh to movie and then tell me VGA looks washed out.:D

R.
Nigel

Might be true with your screen, but not everyone elses.

"VGA looks washed out"

R.
Nigel

Trust me:D as a fully qualifyed TV engineer with 25 years plus experience under my belt I do know how to calibrate properly:rolleyes: . on both my Sony 32" LCD panels VGA from the xbox360 is C.R.A.P. , VGA from my PC through the same sets is stunningly good. there is something dreadfully wrong with the 360's vga output:mad:

there is something dreadfully wrong with the 360's vga output:mad:

Not here there isn't. Looks as good as (and possibly better than) component and "washed out" is the last description anybody would use to describe the picture.

I haven't calibrated anything. Haven't felt the need to and every time someone comes round they mention how stunning the picture on my plasma is (Pioneer PD-502 so quite long in the tooth now) so "washed out" just doesn't make sense.

VGA shows true colour representation. It ISNT washed out, it just appears that way to the untrained eye that has got used to watching cartoon colours via component. Spend a bit of time with VGA and you wont go back to the inferior colour reproduction of component. Have a look at skin tones over component, appart from David Dickinson you will see that skin tones are rediculously over coloured. Almost ever TV you see in the home of none AV type people is the same way. Component caters well for those who seem to think that the more colourful their image is the better. If you want accuracey you will get it via VGA. If your not using VGA for your 360 then you arent getting te most out of it and that applies twofold if you have a HD-DVD drive.

YPbPr over component or RGB over SVGA - I'm not sure one has any advantage over the other, as both are analogue.

That said, my set looks cleaner with an SVGA signal, but I suspect it varies from set to set, ergo, people have different experiences of the the two transmission types.

Anyone know which is superior (RGB or YPbPr) on paper?

VGA shows true colour representation. It ISNT washed out, it just appears that way to the untrained eye that has got used to watching cartoon colours via component. Spend a bit of time with VGA and you wont go back to the inferior colour reproduction of component. Have a look at skin tones over component, appart from David Dickinson you will see that skin tones are rediculously over coloured. Almost ever TV you see in the home of none AV type people is the same way. Component caters well for those who seem to think that the more colourful their image is the better. If you want accuracey you will get it via VGA. If your not using VGA for your 360 then you arent getting te most out of it and that applies twofold if you have a HD-DVD drive.

VGA on the 360 is display dependent, I used VGA for nearly a year on my Panny AE900 because I prefered it over Component (Componet at the time had ghosting), when hooking up the HD-DVD player VGA was totally, totally pants,:thumbsdow
Like changing brightness/contrast/gamma for VGA to get a decent picture the over the top colours for component can be adjusted.
VGA from my Momitsu or laptop is perfect.
If I hadn't tried Componment again after 10 months use of VGA, I would have dumped by HD-DVD player in the bin by now.

Why do you think VGA is technically superior to Component ?

VGA shows true colour representation.

How can it be 'true' colour representation? It's an analogous reproduction. Even digital repro isn't 'true', as many factors come into play: error-correction, the ADC/DAC algorithms, resolution of scan, calibrations of the repro equipment, not to mention ambient reflected room light.

I appreciate what you mean but am not sure SVGA is any 'better' than YPbPr.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom