1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1080i on US Xbox - woohoo - why doesn't splinter cell work?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Adam M, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi all,

just bought my US xbox and converted the power supply to 240v. This process taught me that it was the earliest version of xbox.

I am wondering if that might explain why my UK splintercell didn't work in it as I was told ubisoft games were region free.

If I can't get this to work, does anyone have a US version of the game for sale?

2. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    ps. I just bought an xbox memory card to transfer the live settings from my old pal machine across from ebay brand new, official and sealed for £3.99.

How comes it is £26 cheaper than the shops?

3. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    I dont know where the rumour that all Ubisoft games were region free but it isn;t the case from what I've seen/tried

4. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    that makes me feel a little better.

Have ordered a us splintercell.

With the exchange rate being what it is it is foolish not to buy from us ebay!

5. pj

pj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    i read here that all ubisoft games were region free too! its not the case though
    of all the uk games i tried (20+) only
    mechassault
    rainbox 6
    wolfenstein
    would work on the US box i tried a UK pgr2 (as its the same company as mechassault) but that didnt work either i think some people get confused between a US xbox and a UK box chipped to ntsc maybe they work on a chipped version set to pal or something?

6. EffTee

EffTee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Adam,

I've been thinking of swapping the 110v PSU in my US XBox for a 240v one. Can you tell me where you got the replacement supply from and whether you had any particular problems?

I've seen replacement units advertised, but they say not suitable for early versions - is that the problem you had?

Sorry for slightly OT.

Cheers,
    EffTee

7. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Efftee,

I ordered mine from premodded.com who were incredibly helpful.

I didnt know I had an early xbox until I opened it up and found out that the plug on the supply I had ordered was unsuitable.

I opened the x box using online instructions. you need a 6 and 10 torx head screw driver. It was very easy.

Apparently the later style plug is very common and so these can be supplied easily at something like £10 each. The earlier ones are far rarer and as such cost me an extra £12 including packaging, so bear in mind I had to pay postage and packaing twice which hopefully you wont.

I don't know how to check the model number from the outside, but you could just open it up.

The later one had a two row plug, the earlier has only a one row.

Very happy with premodded service. Didn't like having to send a cheque as it is that much slower, but until he has online payment that is forgivable.

Besides having looked at other companies, even my extra rare one was far cheaper than I could find it anywhere else.

All in all, very happy having made the change.

8. EffTee

EffTee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Adam,

Thanks for the help and the speedy reply. Just off to check out their site. Saying goodbye to step-down transformers has got to be worth a bit of time spent tinkering (and a bit more cash)!

EffTee