• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

1080i - is this progressive? Pls help a numpty

S

Scylla

Hi all - I have a new Sony DVP-NS76H DVD player hooked up to a Panasonic PX60 via HDMI. I love it :thumbsup:

However I'm a bit confused - the progressive button is always lit up on the front of the player, but when I play a DVD it always says 1080i on the screen before it starts playing. Doesn't the i stand for interlaced, not progressive?

I just want to be sure it's set up for the best possible PQ. Thanks for any help!

Cheers

DarkDogZA

Established Member
no...the i in 1080i means interlaced...p = progressive.

Welwynnick

Distinguished Member
Maybe "progressive" should read "upscaled".

The probably reason it's on is that 1080i SHOULD be derived from an intermediate progressive format.

576i -> 576p -> 1080p -> 1080i

Nick

skk3

Prominent Member
Hi Scylla

I am thinking about getting this player - could you tell me some more about it's picture quality and operation etc.

S

Scylla

Thanks for the replies - but I'm still confused! How do I switch it to a progressive picture then? and why is the progressive light on when it's really an interlaced picture?

Thanks again

PS - Syk, I think you'll be very pleased with the player, the picture quality seems excellent (much better than my old no-name bog-standard player) and the operation seems straightforward enough.

hottstuff

Banned
The progressive light on the player would indicate a progressive output , but it will not be progressive if set to 1080.
Change the resolution to 576 or 720!

S

Scylla

Thanks hottstuff - but I couldn't find a way of manually doing this. Can anyone with this player explain what to do please?

Told you I was a numpty.... :rolleyes:

WGLOVER

Established Member
Scylla said:
Thanks hottstuff - but I couldn't find a way of manually doing this. Can anyone with this player explain what to do please?

Told you I was a numpty.... :rolleyes:

I have this Sony (there is a forum on AVforums on it)
Very pleased with it.

Like yours, my player's progressive light glows when I'm using HDMI upscaling, but pressing it to change its operation has no effect on the picture. If I use the component output there is an effect.
I feel it is redundant when HDMI is used and the pictures you get are 720p or 1080i. Your TV will downscale the 1080i to 720p hovever, unless you have a 1080 capable TV.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom