1080i,720p,automatic??

Dave The Rave

Novice Member
Hi all,I have just recieved my HD sky box.(samsung)
Everything seems to be ok apart from my aspect ratio on my t.v.
Should I change my HD setting to automatic on the sky menu?
At the moment it is set on 1080i.
having to change my aspect ratio manually which is a pain in the backside!
Please help:confused:

kevmarshall

Novice Member
Try it and see. I always have mine on Auto. Some people think SD picture quality is better if you have it on 1080i but it makes no difference on my set up.

On Auto you will get control back over aspect ratio but you may find a spluttery delay when switching between SD and HD signals. I don't have that problem as my old Thomson box is connected via Component, not HDMI.

Sky HD and HDMI is still not a happy marriage IMO.

bobcar

Novice Member
I have mine set up on automatic, the small delay in changing resolutions doesn't bother me as I watch the programme not the channel change.

Of course it may be that your TV doesn't upscale well in which case it may be a case of having to put up with a choice of manual switching or a slightly worse picture.

You could of course leave it on 1080i and go to SCART for the 4:3 programmes.

gkpm

Novice Member
I have mine on Auto so the TV does the upscaling.

On 1080i the Sky box does it and the result is, to me, way too soft.

Dave The Rave

Novice Member
I have mine set up on automatic, the small delay in changing resolutions doesn't bother me as I watch the programme not the channel change.

Of course it may be that your TV doesn't upscale well in which case it may be a case of having to put up with a choice of manual switching or a slightly worse picture.

You could of course leave it on 1080i and go to SCART for the 4:3 programmes.
thanks for your response,my t.v is a lcd panasonic 32lxd60 (1080i)
should upscale fine leaving it on automatic.(hope so anyway lol)
I do get the delay when switching from sd to hd content but that dont really bother me that much.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom