• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

1080i,625i,525i. Newbie question.

T

The_Fitter

Hi. Being new to all this plasma tech speech I am would be grateful if someone could explain how you get various inputs to your plasma. I have kinda sussed that 1080 is better than 625 and progressive is better than interlaced but have no idea how you chop and change.

I have tried the Lord Of The Rings dvd, one NTSC and one PAL, and my screen says 525i and 625i. How do you get say 525p or 1080i. Would certain discs output this or is it the player?

I am using a Pioneer 656a player, via component lead. Thanks.

stainway

Established Member
The player has a component output, but it delivers interlace (non- progressive) video only.

jedi-jae

Established Member
I hope this is right...

It is the source that determines what you see on your screen, so only a High Definition feed will display in true 720 or 1080 mode. The screen will automatically adjust to what it is being fed.

T

The_Fitter

Thanks for the reply. Reading my post again it sounds like I am asking how to get my dvd player to output a progressive picture. What I was asking was how do you output a progressive picture. Anyway you have answered my question so thanks all.
Looks like my next purchase will be a new player. The 656 is getting on now anyhow so I shall write to Father Christmas. Thanks again.

Kalos Geros

Established Member
The_Fitter said:
Looks like my next purchase will be a new player. The 656 is getting on now anyhow so I shall write to Father Christmas. Thanks again.

The plasma automatically does the de-interlacing job for you and turns the input from an interlaced DVD player into progressive dislay, but generally,a progressive scan player does this with substantially higher quality...so, yes, go get a prog scan player...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom