1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1080I/1080p ? once more for the slow kid at the back

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Maxheadroom, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Maxheadroom

Maxheadroom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of buying my first plasma telly, specifically the Pioneer PDP505XE which handles HD up to 1080i

Now, Am I buying something with a particularly finite life span here? Should I wait for 1080p?

if you listen to this fella, then no, I shouldn't. This is a good argument for getting my Pioneer today:

http://www.hdtvexpert.com/pages/reality.htm

But then you go and look at the specs for the upcoming PS3:

AV Output
    Screen size: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
    HDMI: HDMI out x 2
    Analog: AV MULTI OUT x 1
    Digital audio: DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1

Disc Media
    CD PlayStation CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 CD-ROM, CD-DA, CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW, SACD, SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD, DualDisc, DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)
    DVD: PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM, PlayStation 3 DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
    Blu-ray Disc: PlayStation 3 BD-ROM, BD-Video, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE

Which clearly shows it'll do up to 1080p.

I'd feel a bit short changed if a year from now my 4 grands worth of plasma TV isn't even good enough to show off my £300 worth of PS3 at it's best.

What should I do?

2. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1080p displays are a bit thin on the ground, and will be so for a while.

I'd expect 1080p to look absolutely fantastic, but for the money you'd have to pay currently for a display that does it, anything less than fantastic would be a real dissapontment.

I'm planning on my next TV being 1080p, in 3/4 years time - by then they should be available for a more reasonable price.

3. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Bear in mind, it's already been stated that 1080p on the PS3 as far as gaming is concerned, is very taxing of the system. So don't expect many games to cater for it, not initially anyway. It's going to be quite some time before 1080p is really worth obsessing over. By which time, display technology will have moved on another step or two and prices will be fair rather than prohibitively expensive.

4. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By the time the PS3 hits the UK streets and then gets to a reasonable price for a console. You'll be ready to replace your TV again anyway. If you continually hold off in anticipation of whats coming tomorrow you'll never commit to anything.

Native 1080i sets are rare enough. Waiting for 1080p is ridiculous

5. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +414
    How does this work when LCD and Plasmas are natively progressive anyway. Wouldn't any 1080 signal sent be progressive whether it was natively or de-interlaced by the TV/Monitor?

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    quality wise there is little in between 720p and 1080i when done well. You do have to deinterlace 1080i however and most (I mean all bar mega bucks stuff) currently doesn't do this is the same quality way we want our DVDs done, ie motion adaptive. I therefore recommend 720p and being the 'better' option. I see little point in a 1080p display if the deinterlacing is rubbish only to show 1080i, certainly not for the immediate future. There is little addition info there in 1080i which isn't there in 720p.

7. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    I agree with your de-interlacing comments Nick - however high quality 1080i sources can contain up to 1920 samples horizontally, whereas 720p contains only 1280. Sure - a lot of 1080i material may not take advantage of this - but it will often contain detail above the 1080i level. (Unless you are in the US on satellite where they re-encode 1920x1080 at 1280x1080 in some cases to save bandwith...)

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    don't disagree Stephen, I think my point is we are really not seeing the differences with current 1080i material, whether US sat or Dtheatre releases, possible yes but do we actually see it on domestic material? We need to do some of the basics right first and for me that is 1080i deinterlacing. 720p has many advantages for those now starting off in HD.