1080 or 720

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by krsone01634, Aug 17, 2006.

1. krsone01634

krsone01634
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry but I am confused. Have TVDrive and have the option of either 1080 or 720. My Plasma TV is 1080 x 1026 so am I right in assuming that I should always use 1080?

Some people I have heard say that 720 is better, please help?

Thanks

2. buffalo2102

buffalo2102

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    You can read all sorts about the 1080/720 options and still not be any wiser. The best advice IMO is to set it to whatever looks best to you on your particular panel.

3. San7h

San7h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The advice to do what looks best on your panel is sound.
    I know there good full explanations on this forum about the different standards so wont go into detail.
    To give you a rule of thumb 720p is/should be better for fast motion viewing whilst 1080i is better for more static viewing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/720p

Is as good a link to the standards as any other. Could be a little clearer but you will get the general idea.

hope it helps

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,480
    Hello krsone01634

The fact that you have a 1080x1026 pixel array is unrelated to the option of a 1080i Output signal on your Source.

Which Display do you have that's an odd sounding resolution?

The options your being given by your Source device are 1280x720 Progressive or 1920x1080 Interlaced - like SKY I imagine Telewest will be transmitting most if not all HD content as 1920x1080i.

With your Display no matter what Output setting you choose on the Source device your Display is going to have to re-process the signal to make it 'fit' your pixels.

If you set the Source to 1080i there is one less stage of processing and you rely on your Display having a decent deinterlacer.

If you set the Source to 720p you are processing the 'Broadcast' twice - and this time the Deinterlacing is handled within the Source device.

As others have said its impossible to say which is your best option simply by looking at the process and the numbers on paper - you need to look for yourself and see which produces the best results; keep in mind you need to adjust Colour, sharpness, brightness etc for both input signals on your Display.

Best regards

Joe

5. Rob Austen

Rob Austen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My TV Drive has been set at 1080 since its installation about 1 month ago. The picture quality is good but I thought I would try the 720 setting to see if I noticed any difference. After changing the setting in the menu to 720 the change is tested and I am given the option of accepting it or going back to the original setting. During this test however I just see a snowy screen so I have not been brave enough to accept it. My TV is a Pioneer 436XDE so there shouldn't be any problems there. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

6. meltonboy

meltonboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    Hi Joe

I'm not sure that TW definately are broadcasting at 1080i. I have asked this before on the a thread and although no-one knew for sure, someone thought that 720p, was being sent down the pipe to the TVD.

Can anyone solve this one for good ?