1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1080 or 720 for Sky HD?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by mjhbell, Aug 28, 2005.

1. mjhbell

mjhbell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm just looking at specs for a new system. The Sky HD website states programming will be in 720 or 1080. Am I correct in saying that if I buy a 720x1280 display, then when I watch a 1080 transmission it will be scaled, and will not look as good. But equally, a 1080 display showing a 720 transmission will also not be quite as good as a native 720 display.

The ideal would be two displays :thumbsup: , What are people's thoughts on 720 or 1080 as be best way go for native resolution (interlaced/progressive aside)?

Cheers.

2. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Don't forget that 1080 broadcasts will be in 1080i - interlaced. This will be converted to progressive by the display on non-CRT displays (with the possible exception of ALiS based plasmas) and delivers only approx 800 lines of effective resolution vertically.

For screens smaller than 50" the view is that a 720 line screen is good at normal viewing distances. Larger screens or closer distances benefit from 1080 lines.

Given that 720p broadcasts will be progressive and most 1080 displays will be inherently progressive, there is an argument that scaling 720 to 1080 is less of a quality issue than de-interlacing and scaling 1080i to 720p. There is also the issue that some 720 displays don't properly de-interlace and scale, instead they treat 1080i as 540p and just scale...

I think until we know what the mix of channels is and which formats they use it is difficult to make a fully-informed decision. However I suspect 720 line displays are at the better price point at the moment - especially at the plasma end of the spectrum.