1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1080 best of both worlds?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by M.N, Jul 30, 2005.

1. M.N

M.N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been periodically watching these forums for some time with a view to replacing my crt based rprv with something more HTPC friendly.

I will probably end up with either an LCD pannel or a DLP rear projection TV. I'm woried about screen burn on a plasma and power consumption.

I mostly watch off air analogue NTL cable and my own dvd's from a media server. I suppose I should upgrade to NTL digital, but I honestly don't know how much better the PQ is.

The thing is I'm looking for the best of both worlds in terms of of air, DVD and computer/Hi Def video.

It has occurred to me that as the new Sharp panels are optimised for pal at 540 but can easilly downscale 1080 by with minimal artefacts, it should be possible to do the reverse on an 1080 panel, ie scale pal via my pc upto 1080. This should provide better results than trying to scale to 768 or 720 as is normally the case.

I just wondered what others thought of the idea?

All I need then is a Sharp 1080i 45 inch screen. And an overdraft :)

Mark

2. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    I see where you're coming from, but it don't quite work out that way. SD broadcasts are using MPEG2, and can be heavily compressed. Various factors involved, can create quite a bit of atifacting, something an upscaler isn't going to remove.
    In essence, upscaling to 720 would be as high as you'd want to "blow" the image up.

I should be getting NTL Digital in soon, so can provide comparision of analog and digital feeds into an LCD TV. Should be doing that on a Sharp GD1 Titanium in a short while, all things going to plan!

3. M.N

M.N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see what you meen, I had thought that at least some of the problem related to complexities in upscaling to 720/768. I do understand that a poorly encoded digital signature will not be fixed in this way. However many people are also unhappy with reuglar off air PAL.

I Look forward to hearing your feedback re NTL digital. If I was sure that the digital picture was significantly better than NTL Analog, I would be happier to pay the increased fee for additional STB's

Mark