1080/24p support/display

howieeb

Are all the current crop of 1080p pjs able to display 1080/24p. I'm not that clued up on this at all, but plan to future proof myself as much as possible. Motion judder is also a pet hate.

I read that the pearl can at 96hz (this correct?) and I assume the new JVC is up to the task. Any info. regarding the 1080p lcs (particularly the Epson) would be great :)

Avi

Distinguished Member
Are all the current crop of 1080p pjs able to display 1080/24p. I'm not that clued up on this at all, but plan to future proof myself as much as possible. Motion judder is also a pet hate.

I read that the pearl can at 96hz (this correct?) and I assume the new JVC is up to the task. Any info. regarding the 1080p lcs (particularly the Epson) would be great :)

The JVC does and HD DVD/BD film motion is very smooth at 1080p/24. I've only used 1080p/48 on the Pearl and that also looked smooth but I believe it supports 24p. Both of these refresh a 24p input image at a rate that is a multiple of 24 i.e. 96hz

AVI

Welwynnick

Distinguished Member
Almost all of them do it.
The Ruby only does 48p.
The Sharp 20000 will do it with a firmware upgrade.
Don't know about the Sim2 D80.

Nick

Henrik78

Whats best then?

24 / 48 / 96?

:confused:

Im willing to buy an external VP for my HD1 - But which?

Ive looked at Crystalio II - But does anyone have any hands-on experience with VP?

Avi

Distinguished Member
Whats best then?

24 / 48 / 96?

Ive looked at Crystalio II - But does anyone have any hands-on experience with VP?

For the HD1 it's 1080p/24 for 3:2 film marterial. It will internally refresh this input signal @ 96hz and the motion of 3:2 film material is very smooth. The HD1 does not support the 24psf (48hz) signal. This is an older standard used to elimate judder with 60hz based film material prior to the introduction of 1080p/24 standard.

I have a Lumagen HPD VP.

AVI

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
Sim2 does 48Hz no probs at all from my Lumagen (same goes for all Sim2 models for the last couple years). Been enjoying judder free Full HD since last year :D

Although now I think about it, I haven't tested a straight 24p input for those without VP.

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
Whats best then?

24 / 48 / 96?

As long as it's a multiple of 24 it doesn't really matter that much. What you are trying to avoid is a 3:2 frame sequence which comes about from converting 24 into 60 (i.e. you get frame sequence 111 22 333 44 555 66 etc).

Bear in mind this is not a new thing... we have had this problem with R1 DVD (actually any 60Hz DVD) since the beginning.

Avi

Distinguished Member
Sim2 does 48Hz no probs at all from my Lumagen (same goes for all Sim2 models for the last couple years). Been enjoying judder free Full HD since last year :D

So does the Sony Pearl and Ruby :) Although without a VP in the loop how many standalone players offer 48hz ouput option ?

AVI

Henrik78

For the HD1 it's 1080p/24 for 3:2 film marterial. It will internally refresh this input signal @ 96hz and the motion of 3:2 film material is very smooth. The HD1 does not support the 24psf (48hz) signal. This is an older standard used to elimate judder with 60hz based film material prior to the introduction of 1080p/24 standard.

I have a Lumagen HPD VP.

AVI

OK... THX Avi

But now i really confused...

1080p/24 vs. 24psf

Whats the difference here then? :confused: :confused:

Avi

Distinguished Member
OK... THX Avi

But now i really confused...

1080p/24 vs. 24psf

Whats the difference here then? :confused: :confused:

Early digital HDTV equipment that supported interlaced formats for television production was introduced into the market with the ability to manipulate a progressively scanned image at the input and output. This is called “Progressive Segmented Frame” or “PSF.”

In other words, the PSF format is progressively scanned at capture and display, but moved in the temporal domain in an interlaced fashion.

1080/24PsF (somtimes referred to as 1080/48hz) is a legacy standard and supported by some older products that don't support 1080p/24 i.e. Sony Ruby. To all intents the result is the same except 1080/24p has become more mainstream with the introduction of the HD disc formats. :)

I'm not aware of any CE HD DVD or BD players that outputs a 1080/24PsF signal. However, it's a useful signal that can be generated by some external VP's to elimate 3:2 judder for older displays that don't directly support 24p or don't have the appropriate internal video processing.

AVI

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom