1080 24p input acceptance ?

I know the Sony Pearl does. I was using it with a Lumagen HDP. It also accepted 24P via the Lumagen at 23.98hz.

Not sure about 24 but many of them will accept 48Hz which is usually the best choice for those using an external VP.

Neil

I know the Sony Pearl does. I was using it with a Lumagen HDP. It also accepted 24P via the Lumagen at 23.98hz.

Sorry to drift off topic, bit it drives me crazy when refresh rates are described as 24p, 48Hz, 72Hz etc.

The on disc frame rate is 23.976 fps. This equates (rounded to 2 decimal places) to 23.98 Hz, 47.95 Hz and 71.93 Hz.

The panny AX100 accepts 1080p at 24fps.

Sorry to drift off topic, bit it drives me crazy when refresh rates are described as 24p, 48Hz, 72Hz etc.

The on disc frame rate is 23.976 fps. This equates (rounded to 2 decimal places) to 23.98 Hz, 47.95 Hz and 71.93 Hz.

Too true. And quite frankly Neil should know better :nono: ;)

LOL. I must e-mail the guys at Lumagen to make sure they take out that 24P option in the menu :rotfl:

Panny AE1000 is listed as being able to take 1080/24P but I've not been able to confirm it with mine as I haven't got a 24P source.

Rounded up the 24P to the nearest whole number.:D

Thanks to all who responded. I wish my question had been more specific as what I intended to ask was not only whether they accept 1080 @24p, but whether they will display a Full HD picture accordingly at a multiple of 24 Hz refresh rate., as I assume 24Hz could give a flickery picture. Of course they would have to be 1080x1920 in display.

Anybody have anything further to add along these lines ? Thanks.

HC5000 accepts and displays 1080p 24fps, at the appropriate refresh multiple.

Should be no flicker

Thanks to all who responded. I wish my question had been more specific as what I intended to ask was not only whether they accept 1080 @24p, but whether they will display a Full HD picture accordingly at a multiple of 24 Hz refresh rate., as I assume 24Hz could give a flickery picture. Of course they would have to be 1080x1920 in display.

Anybody have anything further to add along these lines ? Thanks.
I think all the 1080p projectors now accept 1080p24 video. Hoooray!

I don't think 24Hz refresh is any sort of issue with digital displays because there is no scanning like CRTs, which WOULD show a lot of flicker at 24 Hz. Digital displays just display the picture then change it when the next frame comes along. I think 48 / 72 / 96 Hz is a big red herring, and makes no difference whatsoever. DLPs may be slightly different because of the mirror switching , but I'm sure the DMD will sort out that out with additional sub-frames.

Nick

HC5000 accepts and displays 1080p 24fps, at the appropriate refresh multiple.

Should be no flicker

Thanks. Which brand is the HC5000 ? Sorry its Mitsubishi I think.

Which is (are) the best sub-£5K 1080p PJ which accepts and displays 1080p 24fps ?

The JVC ? Panasonic ? Sony Pearl ? Which gives the best black, is it the JVC ?

Finally, for the people who do not use Video Processors, do you find there is a delay/lag between the soundtrack and picture? Thanks.

Thanks. Which brand is the HC5000 ? Sorry its Mitsubishi I think.

Which is (are) the best sub-£5K 1080p PJ which accepts and displays 1080p 24fps ?

The JVC ? Panasonic ? Sony Pearl ? Which gives the best black, is it the JVC ?

Finally, for the people who do not use Video Processors, do you find there is a delay/lag between the soundtrack and picture? Thanks.

Based on popular opinion;

JVC best for contrast and inky blacks but not as sharp as others
Panansonic best for colour reproduction but low brightness and dynamic iris
Sony best for film like impressive image but low for sharpness and quality control
Mitsubishi best for sharpness and colour reproduction but lowish brighness and dynamic iris

Based on popular opinion;

JVC best for contrast and inky blacks but not as sharp as others
Panansonic best for colour reproduction but low brightness and dynamic iris
Sony best for film like impressive image but low for sharpness and quality control
Mitsubishi best for sharpness and colour reproduction but lowish brighness and dynamic iris
I'm not sure I agree with this summary. As an HD1 owner, I'm biased, but specifically:
  • I don't think the Sony bests the JVC in any area.
  • My JVC is extremely sharp.
  • The contrast and blacks of the JVC are not to be underestimated IMO.
  • For a long time, the Mitsubishi was going to be "the one" for me, until it became clear that the D6 panels weren't going to deliver what had originally been expected.
My 2p.

Presumably sub-5k 1080p DLP projectors are not an option? Actually, I'm not sure if any display a 24p signal at 48 or 96Hz. Even some of the newer expensive models don't.

What are the pro's and con's of LCD vs DLP ? thanks
DLP miles better in terms of contrast and sharp image. Against DLP is louder fan noise, possible issues with 24p inputs (displayed at 60p) and, of course, the rainbow effect. If you suffer from the latter, then they are a no go zone.

And rounded to no decimal places the numbers are 24, 48 and 72!!! Choose to round to 2 decimal places or to 0 decimal places it's still rounded off. Can't see any reason to get wound up. Rounding to just an integer it's three less keystrokes per figure (lazy typist) and everyone knows what we're talking about anyway!!!!!!

Samhain - I agree with Viruskiller. The JVC is stupidly good on all departments and beaten by none of a similar or lower value.

tausifs - question is what is your source? With a VP in line so long as the projector accepts a multiple of 24 (i.e. 48, 72) and your VP can convert between them, you will get judder free 24 frame material (sorry rob - you will get judder free 23.976fps material...). So 48 or 72Hz input will be equally useful, and with older models something you are more likely to find.

With a VP in line so long as the projector accepts a multiple of 24 (i.e. 48, 72) and your VP can convert between them, you will get judder free 24 frame material
And so long as the 24p or 48p input is displayed at a multiple of 24Hz. Just wanted to ram this point home as it's at the heart of this thread.

And so long as the 24p or 48p input is displayed at a multiple of 24Hz. Just wanted to ram this point home as it's at the heart of this thread.

You put a good point on the other HD1 thread that some PJ's may except a 24hz input but internally converts it to 60hz for the display, presumably killing the advantages of the signal and still leaving the images open to judder !
Does the HD1 allow a 24 signal to 'follow through' right to the display panels and how can any purchasers of PJ's find out which ones handle the signal correctly?

A little more education required if you please.

Thanks RLT

HD1 frame doubles 1080p24 to 1080p48 and displays it at 96Hz :thumbsup: There is no way of knowing without asking (here) or reading a really good review.

HD1 frame doubles 1080p24 to 1080p48 and displays it at 96Hz :thumbsup: There is no way of knowing without asking (here) or reading a really good review.

Well I guess I've made a good choice in the HD1 for future purchases of HD players !
The test of HD players on PJCentral were using the new Epson 1080 PJ so maybe they don't handle the signal the preferable way ?
But what about UK HD players will they ouput a 24hz. signal the same as the US or a 25hz for pal displays, as I've also been looking at the Canon HD camcorder and the UK version can record at 1080p and output @ 25p where as the US version outputs @ 24p
How would the HD1 handle that ?

Thanks again RLT

Well I guess I've made a good choice in the HD1 for future purchases of HD players !
I think so.

The test of HD players on PJCentral were using the new Epson 1080 PJ so maybe they don't handle the signal the preferable way ?
Quite possible, but I don't know.

But what about UK HD players will they ouput a 24hz. signal the same as the US or a 25hz for pal displays, as I've also been looking at the Canon HD camcorder and the UK version can record at 1080p and output @ 25p where as the US version outputs @ 24p. How would the HD1 handle that ?
First thing: PAL and NTSC are SD. HD is a common standard and there is no US/Japan = 24p, Europe = 25p thing. At the moment, all HD DVD and Blu-Ray discs are 24p. However, 25p disc encodings may turn up (on HD DVD at least) for material that was shot in the 50Hz world. I don't know of any displays that will accept 1080p25 - the natural thing to do would be for the player/camera to output it as 2:2 interlaced 1080i50. Alternatively, it might output 1080p50.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom