1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

108 MHz DAC vs. 54 MHz DAC

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stephen19, Nov 20, 2004.

1. stephen19

stephen19
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I was researching new players and some state they have a 108MHz, 12-bit DAC, and older models only have a 54MHz DAC. Can you dee the difference or are these figures purely for marketing purposes? Thanks.

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    John Dawson from Arcam discussed this before

Here is what he said

3. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,841
    I asked the same question myself a while ago. I was split between getting a Pioneer DV470 or a Sony NS585. The Pioneer has a 108Mhz like the DV575 and the Sony has a 54Mhz.

I tried a DV575 and was very impressed. However I went for the Sony as I prefer the build quality of the Sony and it still creates a excellent picture on my projector. I didn't notice much difference using RGB scart on the TV between the two.

In theory the 108mhz should be sample the information twice as much and create a better picture. However, other factors can take affect the result.

If the Sony wasn't an option then I would still have been very happy with the Pioneer.

4. stephen19

stephen19
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. The man from Arcam seems to suggest that you only need 27MHz, so 54 is already twice what you need, so presumably 108 makes no real difference. I was thinking twice as fast isn't necessarily twice as good; think of the controversy about 50hz vs. 100hz tvs!