Question 106" low gain needed - UK Projector screen sellers

mcrb10

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

*Long story short can anyone link me to a better "value" good screen than the Optoma mentioned below? I live in the UK*

I have been trying my best all day to find a screen to purchase in the uk and for some reason i am struggling to find any, other than the obvious suppliers like richer sounds or avonline. I like to have a good look around and get into the specifications of stuff before settling on one, and after reading a lot a lot of your forum posts it's made me apprehensive about not wasting my money on something crap! But as far I can find my options are very limited. Whoever is selling these screens are not doing are very good job of getting to the top of google

I want a low gain (less than 1) 106" retractable projector screen the mrs won't let me have a fixed screen. The projector is DLP and therefore i want to try and get the most out of the blacks as possible, I believe 0.9 gain in a dark room is my best bet.

-Projector UHZ65
-Next to no ambient light in room

The best I have found so far is the Optoma 106", perhaps you know of a similar slightly cheaper product? or one with a lower gain?
DE-9120ETT 120" tab tension electric screen

Richersound screens do not state their gain and the cheap price makes me hesitant.

Best regards,
Matt

@mcrb10 If you're going for an ALR screen make sure the projector (lens) is 1.8x throw ratio (screen width) from the screen to avoid artifacts. If that can't be done than get a matte grey screen. Hivilux can make a custom one if you can't find one that fits.

Hi All,

*Long story short can anyone link me to a better "value" good screen than the Optoma mentioned below? I live in the UK*

I have been trying my best all day to find a screen to purchase in the uk and for some reason i am struggling to find any, other than the obvious suppliers like richer sounds or avonline. I like to have a good look around and get into the specifications of stuff before settling on one, and after reading a lot a lot of your forum posts it's made me apprehensive about not wasting my money on something crap! But as far I can find my options are very limited. Whoever is selling these screens are not doing are very good job of getting to the top of google

I want a low gain (less than 1) 106" retractable projector screen the mrs won't let me have a fixed screen. The projector is DLP and therefore i want to try and get the most out of the blacks as possible, I believe 0.9 gain in a dark room is my best bet.

-Projector UHZ65
-Next to no ambient light in room

The best I have found so far is the Optoma 106", perhaps you know of a similar slightly cheaper product? or one with a lower gain?
DE-9120ETT 120" tab tension electric screen

Richersound screens do not state their gain and the cheap price makes me hesitant.

Best regards,
Matt

We can provide screens that utilise a grey 0.9 gain screen that is custom made, and so can be matched to your requirements. Most likely similar to the price of the optoma (but depends on the control required, drop length and others options). Some information is in the attached PDF.

We also provide screens with ALR material too, but these cost slightly more.

You mention not having any ambient light in the room, but reflections can be just as bad as ambient light. ;)

Attachments

• Tab tensioned 2020.pdf
    551.4 KB · Views: 186
Hi All,

Sorry for the radio silence, I actually didn't buy the Optoma UHZ65 in the end as I got an ex demo Epson TW9400 for £2199 with 142 hours on it, full warranty which arrives tomorrow. I've also had to buy a 15m Optical HDMI cable to run from the receiver which I hope will work, as this was a hurdle I didn't even consider! I am currently going to buy this screen from luxberg (sorry Ricky) tab tension 0.9gain, less than 2.6m width 100" motorised screen for £300 unless the forum tells me I'm making a mistake, what do we think?

Eventually this will go into a dedicated black out room and I will upgrade the screen but for now it will be in my living room which we can get pretty dark with our black out blinds, I'm just looking to get something roughly close, its my first projector so don't mind if i don't absolutely nail it first time as i've spent too long looking around now and we learn from our mistakes right, but for £300 this seemed like a good start, they also sell a screen with a gain of 1.0 but from what I've read I liked the sound of the 0.9 gain.

Distance between screen and front of projector will be between 3-3.5m

Best regards,
Matt

I’m always nervous when someone is producing an equivalent product less than half the price of the rest and by rest I mean those that are still classed as great value.

I made this mistake when I first got into home cinema and the screen was replaced within 6 months.

My only advice if you do want to go down this route with the Luxburg is make sure you can get a full refund if it’s not what you expected.

@mcrb10 I will be interested to hear your thoughts on the quality of the screen etc once you have it.

I remember hearing the cheaper PJ screens at good prices were a bit hit and miss.

someone returned theirs to the retailer themselves and in the same room they were selling plant pots and garden furniture. i think always buy from a recognised proper AV retailer where these products are their bread and butter.

or if u can't do that, buy second hand. plenty of high end gear pops up on the classifields and waiting for a good deal is usually smarter than trying to scrape the bargain basement ebay listings. and trust me.. they arent even bargain basements. they charge a lot of money for the crap they sell to probably make up for the loss they get on returns.

these cheaper knock offs are a lottery and i think its better to buy once properly (from a AV dealer or second hand), than buy cheap and buy twice.

Thanks for replying everybody, I am listening to you don't worry! What about this then guys? The case Length needs to be within 2.55m otherwise it won't fit in the space I have for it. it has a gain of 1.1

I can't afford to put £1000 into a screen right now to be honest, I bought Dali Oberon 7s, 3s + center and 12" sub set + Denon 3600 receiver last month, then the projector this month, there's not much chance of me getting more from the joint account for the screen right now haha. I don't mind wasting £300 now, learn from it then

I searched the forum for luxberg and have seen quite a few people have posted requesting reviews on them and nobody has truly given a full answer. I could take one for the team here and find out what this screen is actually like as I'm sure more people have come here looking for answers on the Luxberg then have posted so this could be the forums opportunity to find out!

btw I pretty much swapped to buying the Epson after reading Luminated's "modest home cinema" post, I wasn't allowed to black out the walls though 😂 (yet! 😏)

Does it have to be a pull down screen?

£200 will buy you a decent fixed frame 100” from the likes of Elite etc and then when money allows buy yourself a proper electric pull down with tab tension.

It does really because the Mrs won't let me block the window with a fixed screen as much as I'd like to. Here is the current setup for anyone interested
83063689_246737636592056_7005327092703297536_n.jpg
101217680_701560673939601_3747892843079794688_n.jpg
101369412_282212819488071_6500330404317233152_n.jpg
101526490_1542246102616564_35016181169520640_n.jpg
101846524_704807910311959_5208130742457991168_n.jpg

Are you planning on putting the projector screen in the same place as your TV is in that picture? Unless you go acoustically transparent I don't see how the upgrade to a screen would be worthwhile as it wouldn't be much of an increase in size.

Are you planning on putting the projector screen in the same place as your TV is in that picture? Unless you go acoustically transparent I don't see how the upgrade to a screen would be worthwhile as it wouldn't be much of an increase in size.

Presuming the TV in the images is 55" then even a 'modest' jump to 85" would increase screen area from 8,339 cm2 to 19,918 cm2. Moving up to 106" would increase it to 30,975 cm2.

Anyway you look at it, it will be a massive increase in screen real estate over that TV. :)

As to where to locate the speakers, well that is another question. ;) :laugh:

Hi Kayti,

Just as a note I had decided to go with 92" screen since my original post, as the screen width is less than the gap between the speakers. We have to make do with what we have available! And the purpose of these purchases is to start collecting I'm only starting out remember! When we move we will have a dedicated room and will purchase a larger screen, more speakers etc.

Projector arrived yesterday, i set it up on the wall at 92" as we don't have the screen yet, and even on the wall let me tell you I am seriously happy with my purchase of the Epson TW9400, I don't know why I worried at all about the lighting so much for my circumstance. Given this is a step up from 2015 55" TV (good guess DB9s, maybe I should change my name to F-Type R awd😀) to my first projector for cinema I was blown away with how bright it is and the picture is better than my tv not even in 4k mode yet. I was also concerned about having the the projector projecting the letterboxing black bars as these annoy me being lit up on the tv but again this turned out not to be a problem for me and is an improvement on the tv (not oled). the thing does pump out some serious heat though, something to consider if your house is already hot. Can't wait to get it on a screen, can only imagine what some of your setups look like with the black out and decent screen!

As with what DB9S said, it's 100% a worthwhile increase for anybody considering it, I did consider an 85" tv too but wanted the projector. The area added is the important factor, ie adding 10" diagonally to a 20" tv is less area increase than adding 10" to a 40" tv. The screen will come down in front of the tv and behind the projector, not ideal but best I can do for now. Something I didn't consider before looking at screens is that you need a wider space available for the tab tensioned screens opposed to a fixed screen as the housing is considerably larger than the viewable screen. Therefore although the bar at the bottom of the screen will be too large to go between the speakers, if it falls behind the speakers then the viewable screen is still within the width available. I'm not too fussed about the screen lighting up the sides of the speakers right now, the room is white anyway so there is no hiding the fact the room is being lit up.

Here is the speaker package for anyone who reads this later on and is interested:
DALI OBERON 7 Light Oak 5.1 Speaker Package w/ E-12F Subwoofer

I have attached some pictures of it, one shows it with the dull living room light on. I will be back in touch with what happens with a screen, thanks again all.

Best regards,
Matt

Attachments

• IMG_5825.jpg
    IMG_5825.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_5826.PNG
    IMG_5826.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 147
  • IMG_5827.PNG
    IMG_5827.PNG
    393.9 KB · Views: 129
Hi All,

Can I ask you a new question, the projector I have purchased was AV Onlines ex showrrom demonstrator, when I plugged it in the screen was already inverted for ceiling mount therefore I am assuming they didn't factory reset it.

I haven't looked into calibration or settings etc yet, so do you suggest I just leave it how they had it, or should I reset it? I live in East hampshire/Surrey if there are any calibrators you can recommend for when the time comes

Best regards,
Matt

Hi Kayti,

Just as a note I had decided to go with 92" screen since my original post, as the screen width is less than the gap between the speakers. We have to make do with what we have available! And the purpose of these purchases is to start collecting I'm only starting out remember! When we move we will have a dedicated room and will purchase a larger screen, more speakers etc.

Projector arrived yesterday, i set it up on the wall at 92" as we don't have the screen yet, and even on the wall let me tell you I am seriously happy with my purchase of the Epson TW9400, I don't know why I worried at all about the lighting so much for my circumstance. Given this is a step up from 2015 55" TV (good guess DB9s, maybe I should change my name to F-Type R awd😀) to my first projector for cinema I was blown away with how bright it is and the picture is better than my tv not even in 4k mode yet. I was also concerned about having the the projector projecting the letterboxing black bars as these annoy me being lit up on the tv but again this turned out not to be a problem for me and is an improvement on the tv (not oled). the thing does pump out some serious heat though, something to consider if your house is already hot. Can't wait to get it on a screen, can only imagine what some of your setups look like with the black out and decent screen!

As with what DB9S said, it's 100% a worthwhile increase for anybody considering it, I did consider an 85" tv too but wanted the projector. The area added is the important factor, ie adding 10" diagonally to a 20" tv is less area increase than adding 10" to a 40" tv. The screen will come down in front of the tv and behind the projector, not ideal but best I can do for now. Something I didn't consider before looking at screens is that you need a wider space available for the tab tensioned screens opposed to a fixed screen as the housing is considerably larger than the viewable screen. Therefore although the bar at the bottom of the screen will be too large to go between the speakers, if it falls behind the speakers then the viewable screen is still within the width available. I'm not too fussed about the screen lighting up the sides of the speakers right now, the room is white anyway so there is no hiding the fact the room is being lit up.

Here is the speaker package for anyone who reads this later on and is interested:
DALI OBERON 7 Light Oak 5.1 Speaker Package w/ E-12F Subwoofer

I have attached some pictures of it, one shows it with the dull living room light on. I will be back in touch with what happens with a screen, thanks again all.

Best regards,
Matt

Nowt can beat the cinematic experience from a projector. That looks really good! Congrats. :D

Hi All,

Can I ask you a new question, the projector I have purchased was AV Onlines ex showrrom demonstrator, when I plugged it in the screen was already inverted for ceiling mount therefore I am assuming they didn't factory reset it.

I haven't looked into calibration or settings etc yet, so do you suggest I just leave it how they had it, or should I reset it? I live in East hampshire/Surrey if there are any calibrators you can recommend for when the time comes

Best regards,
Matt

The option to change the inversion of the picture will be in the menu somewhere, like the setup page or suchlike.

Don't worry about changing the screen orientation as it will affect nothing else and is easy to change back if/when you ceiling mount. :cool:

For any future readers, I purchased the luxberg screen and the review can be found here:

Best Regards,
Matt

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom