1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

105kbsAT3 vs other rates

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by sulk, Sep 2, 2005.

1. sulk

sulk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking at the settings in SS for transfering music, and I've decided to switch from transfering straight mp3s to atrac. The mp3s that I transfer are usually areound 192kbs~, so I'm not sure. Atrac at 66kbs is equal to 128kbs mp3. So i would think that 105kbs would equal to around 192kbs~ on a mp3. Anyone have any suggestions? Or know of a different rate to transfer at? Thanks

-Sulk

2. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm quite happy with 64kbps (ATRAC3Plus, so better compression - valuable if your CD collection is vast!). This is supposed to sound as good as MP3 128kbps, and IMO, it does. I can only imagine, therefore, that either 105kbps or 132kpbs would give you the equivalent quality.

Incidentally, if you have SS 3.2, isn't it possible now to use 192kbps?

3. johnalkateb

johnalkateb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It is indeed possiable to have Atrac3+ at 192Kbps as its what i am using for my entier music collection. Brilliant quality i must say.

4. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought so. And that's supported by the HD5, yes?

5. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yup. I'm doing my rather extensive cd collection at 192 as well. I will occasionally hook up my HD5 to a stereo, so the quality needs to be there and ripping at 64 kbps wouldn't cut it.

6. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just noticed on Sony's site that they've dropped ATRAC3 105 and 66kbps from SS 3.2 onwards ...

7. sulk

sulk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, kk thanks I'll be using 192 from now on then, since they stopped using 105 from now. Thanks again for the info.

-Sulk