1024X768 in a 16:9 aspect ratio?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by NinjaMonkeyUK, Mar 20, 2006.

1. NinjaMonkeyUK

NinjaMonkeyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Hi everyone.

Having just got a Panasonic TH42PX60 42 inch plasma screen I want to connect my PC to it. So far I have been able to run the PC through the VGA port at 1024x768 at 60hz.

This is not ideal as 1024x768 is a 4:3 format, so I'm guessing the pixels are not square on the plasma itself in order to make the 1024x768 image fill the screen.

Is there any way to make Windows XP stretch the pixels so that 1024x768 is used as a 16:9 format? I'm not really sure I'm explaining myself right but I just want a picture from my PC with the correct aspect ratio.

I have worked out how to do this with Media Player - I can play back XVID & DIVX files in the correct aspect ratio but the desktop & presumably all games (haven't tried them yet) look stretched...

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. oblivion_6

oblivion_6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Theres a peice of freeware/shareware powerstrip i think its called, it lets you decide the resolution of your screen and you can set it to the max one of your screen.

Edit: Wow i remembered the name it is powerstrip you can dload it here www.entechtaiwan.net

Be careful with it as you may choose a totally unsupported rez and put your pc in a panic

3. NinjaMonkeyUK

NinjaMonkeyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    I know what the resolution of my screen is. It is native 1024x768 BUT it is a widescreen panel, not 4:3.

Therefore the pixels need to be horizontally stretched to fit the screen. This makes everything look stretched out on the Windows desktop. I need some sort of tool to tell Windows that I'm using 1024x768 as a widescreen resolution so that it can make things the correct ratio again.

Thanks for your suggestion but I don't think PowerStrip will work in this case...

4. oblivion_6

oblivion_6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ah damn soz i misunderstood, thats strange that 1024x768 cant be changed to widescreen, saying that its quite a small resolution for a widescreen, mine is something like 1300x780 or something like that which makes it appear widescreen.

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    You don't need powerstrip for this.

1366x768 is the square pixel resolution of your panel whilst the physical resolution is 1024x768. 1024x768 gives you a 1:1 pixel mapped enviroment ( panel does no scaling) but distorts the desktop and any app you cannot set to be non-square pixel ( as you have found you can correct most video apps to take this into account).

1366x768 gives you an undistorted desktop and and apps that assume square pixel display ( most games) and the panel will scale 1366 down to 1024 but as non-square pixels so although the resolution goes down the size doesn't.

I actually leave mine as 1366x768 ( 42PHD8) .

6. pointyone

pointyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    your talking about 1.1 pixel mapping very hard to do on a 1024x768 panel i have a pv500 and i am trying to find out how to achieve this

i think its a mixture of playing with the res, and then the h/v position and clock settings in the plasma menu but i haven,t figured it out yet, im sure some one with a 42" 1024x768 panel must have done this , i want to use vga for the pc so hdmi is free for sky hd

Maw is very clued up and offeres good advice on this

7. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    wouldn't it be nice if the video card drivers just allowed you to set the aspect ratio as well, that way we could have native res and correct aspect...

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    There is more to a good picture than pixel numbers, give me a 1024x768 panasonic plasma over a 1366x768 samsung lcd any day of the week.

9. oblivion_6

oblivion_6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Aye i know im just saying its strange that the rez would be one that doesnt appear in the aspect ratio of the telly

I aint saying mine is better :p

10. innerise

innerise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Mr.D, what do you mean by this, considering the native res of the 42PHD8 is 1024x768? Do you mean you set your PC to 1366x768? Would this not give you a non 1:1 pixel mapped (ie blurry) image?

I have a 42PHD8 and would like to get a non-stretched image

11. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    Its only slightly soft on the desktop , it doesn't actually bother me if I'm surfing the net for example. I can't see any difference with video or games vs the 1024x768 1:1 mode.

12. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241

Its easy on the PHD8 , have friends with the PV500 and they also had no problems with it.

13. DarkDogZA

DarkDogZA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    did I read your .sig right with dual core fx 60s ? :eek:

14. pointyone

pointyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22

tell me more any chance of getting the details mr d, i know how to get the correct aspect ratio in wmp but 1.1 mapping is different are you saying they have done this if so please tell me how and what settings they are using:lease:

15. innerise

innerise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hmmm...what's that?...£750 for the CPU...and two 7900GTXs...that's another £800...you sure that's not a wishlist? :)

16. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Well seems the Xbox 360 can display 1024*768 in both 4*3 or 16*9

17. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    There is no secret. Just select 1024x768 as your desktop res. Stick with 60Hz at least initially. Download the mark rejhon dila test pattern (google it) set it as a background on your desktop , tiled not stretched. Use the picture controls on the plasma to fill the screen and no more ( no nonequal overlap otherwise it kicks in the scaling) use the clock phase settings to get the clearest picture ( least noise on the pattern , no colour shifts).

18. pointyone

pointyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    thanks alot for that ill give it a try i had been told it was really difficult to get 1.1 pixelmapping on the 1024x768 but that sounds easy enough

thanks again

19. innerise

innerise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hang on, hang on....am I missing something here :rolleyes:

When I attach my PC to my 42PHD8 via DVI, I can set my PC res to 1024x768 and it will fill the whole 16:9 ratio on the plasma. I don't need to do any screen re-positioning. The picture is absolutely crystal clear but the image is stretched.

Are you saying that the method you've just suggested gives a crystal clear (potentially), widescreen and non-stretched display on the plasma? :confused:

20. pointyone

pointyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    over dvi you will get overscan and not get 1.1 pixel matching the method suggested is for vga to map the pixels giving a much clearer and sharper image

where can i down load this test pattern i have found it via google but with cpyright print over it so its not tht clear to try and set it up

thanks again mr d for the help

21. innerise

innerise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Over DVI I get absolutely no overscan and a perfectly clear picture...just stretched. Since the native res of the panel is 1024x768, it must be a 1:1 mapping if you set the same res on the PC...or have I completely misunderstood? The reason why it's stretched is that the pixels on the panel aren't sqaure.

22. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    I'd suspect that DVI is easier to get 1:1 mapping on than vga , you won't have to adjust the clock phase for a start.

The panel is non-square pixel. If you use 1024x768 your desktop is stretched. there is nothing you can currently do about this until graphics cards manufacturers allow non-square pixel resolutions. ( this should be a piece of cake) .

Most video apps allow you to compensate for the non-square pixels ( all mine certainly do) .
    Games and other apps will be distorted.
    Using 1366x768 should fix this though. Text is a little softer but perfectly servicable.
    I leave mine in 1366x768 all the time as it saves me changing the pixel aspect ratio when switching between the plasma and my square pixel video projector.

23. innerise

innerise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ok, thanks Mr.d.

How exactly do you set your PC to 1366x768? The closest I found in the display properties settings was 1360x780 (or thereabouts). Is it graphics card-dependent?

24. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    It will be driver dependant and possibly how the PC reads the display . A tip is to use the sony w900 driver for the monitor rather than let ithe PC read the vesa timing data from the display. The W900 driver will unlock just about every resolution under the sun although the graphics driver will play a part. 1366x768 is a standard resolution these days.

If you still can't get it powerstrip can be used to force the resolution into the graphics card.

25. innerise

innerise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks very much. I have a Radeon 9800 pro and I can't select a 1366x768 res from the display properties. Will just have to decide whether I prefer a crystal-clear stretched display or a not quite crystal clear correct-ratio display. I think it'll be the former. Things might be better once I receive my nVidia 6800GS

I'll defo give powerstrip a go. Apparantly my PHD8 supports [email protected], with Horizontal [email protected] and Vertical [email protected]

Presumably I can specify all this in Powerstrip?

26. NinjaMonkeyUK

NinjaMonkeyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    That makes a lot of sense & I think I will try that at some point on Wednesday...

Surely though if the panel is 1024x768 & I feed a 1366x768 resolution into it some horizontal scaling must be done? Although it does say in the manual that this TV does accept a 1366x768 signal.

I'll just have to try it & see what results I get...

27. pointyone

pointyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22

so are you saying going vga into a pv500 set the pc input to wxga and a res of 1366x768 (the mannual does say it will accept this res on wxga) and that will be 1.1 pixel mapped and a 16.9 aspect ratio

i some how dont think its this easy ive been reasearching this for ages and the likes of MAW and Horny dragon all say that it is pretty difficult to get 1.1 pixel mapping on pv500 or to get mce to display in 16.9

hope im wrong though could be the answer when i build my htpc

28. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    The answers are in the thread.

29. innerise

innerise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    pointyone,

I believe the native res of a PV500 is 1024x768 (correct me if i'm wrong), so you'll only get a 1:1 pixel mapping when your PC is set to the same.

I think your best bet will be to use powerstrip and set the output of the PC to 1366x768, as Mr.D menioned.

30. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    The native res on the panny panels is 1024x768.

Ok here you are.

1024x768 1:1 pixel map , distorted desktop

1366x768 ( or 1368x768 if you slice off a pixel either side) not 1;1 pixel map but its the closest square pixel resolution that the montior can use) . Essentially the image is only scaled in x . ( the panels are designed to work with hidef , so its not unreasonable to suggest they might be better at downscaling than upscaling) Disadvantages slightly soft desktop , video doesn't look any different to me in fact it might even be an improvement.

Either resolution is a proverbial piece of cake to get working with your panel.