1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1024 x 1024 ALis clarification sought

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Skuzzlebutt74, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Skuzzlebutt74

Skuzzlebutt74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I'm a little confused by the 1024x1024 resolution of the ALis plasma screens as used by Philips. After reading every post here and in other forums I'm still not totally clear on just how many pixels these screens actually have.

Am I right in thinking that all plasma's have a "native" resolution that is normally equivalent to that of the many common PC monitor resolutions (852x480, 1024x768 etc)?

If so, is the 1024x1024 res stated by Philips a native resolution or is it some form of number crunching thanks to the scaling that occurs? How can I find out just what the actual native resolution of a Philips plasma actually is?

Hope this makes sense :)

Cheers

2. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    1024x1024 is the native resolution.

However, ALIS means that 512 horizontal lines are displayed in one cycle and then the other 512 lines are in the next cycle, and refreshed at 100Hz for PAL and 120Hz for NTSC.

Opinions about ALIS appears to be bi-polar: some people rave about ALIS picture, others hate it. I'd get a demo if I were you.

StooMonster

3. Skuzzlebutt74

Skuzzlebutt74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Stoo,

So does that means there are 1024x1024 physical pixels or 512 physical pixels that get used twice during the interlaced pass?

4. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    There are 1024x1024 physical pixels.

However, only 512 rows are displayed per 100Hz pass; but the images doesn't fade from the other 512 rows.

When I was demoing plasmas before purchase, I wasn't particularly interested in this and had other criteria so wrote off any ALIS plasmas; but plenty of people rave about them.

StooMonster