1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

102 DVD bundles - are they value?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Paul_J_Smith, May 29, 2003.

1. Paul_J_Smith

Paul_J_Smith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am thinking of buying my first DVD player but as you all know that is only 1/2 the story. It's films that count. I want to build up a collection of "older" films and then build on that with "choice" titles. I was wondering if anyone had a view on these Alba 114 (Tesco) and Hyundai 320A (Sky.com) that offer the DVD player and 102 films.

I know a lot of the films will be a bit crap - goes without saying - but it seems a reasonable way of getting perhaps 20-30 watchable films. The DVD on their own seem to cost about £70-80 so that means for the Hyundai the 102 fims are costing £120 and for the Alba the films cost £60.

Can you buy these bundles anywhere without the DVD players? The main concern I have is that I want the DVD player to be able to play Kodak Picture CD's and I dont think the Alba or the Hyundai will play them. If you can buy the bundles seperately then I am tempted by the Yamada DVD2100 or the Cyberhome 405 (the 505 and 528 dont play Kodak CD's!!).

Thanks.

P

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    But if the player is not also multi-region you are locked into uk only releases and prices.

Personally, I buy most of my dvd's over the internet at least 25% cheaper as region 1.

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would avoid these bundles if you possibly can, Some of the disks have 4 films on them so the picture quality will be cr*p. Most of the movies are worse than a 'B' movie. I think you would be much better advised to buy a cheap mr player from Asda/Tesco etc and then go to Virgin and get some from their 5 for £30 offer. Check out the web sites too, most of them have some promotions offering say 3 for £20.

At least you will have heard of the films and the actors, that's more than can be said for most of the 102 films you mention!

Just my 2p worth!

DaveP

4. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I also wouldnt bother, as mentioned earlier the picture quality will be dire, + when ive looked at these bundles i dont think ive ever seen a film ive heard of.

5. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    The box they come in will have more play value.:nono:

6. Paul_J_Smith

Paul_J_Smith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Thanks for your comments. I kind of concluded the same thing but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a trick.

Cheers, P

7. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    My mother bought the dvd player and films for £54.99 from safeway. That had a prism DV-302 player and 14 films on 8 dvds in 4 amaray cases. The films were generally ok. Theres a film on there though called 'Train to Hell' and I don't think I've ever seen a worse film. I felt so sorry for the director. Hugh Grant is the main star along with Raquel Welch's daughter and Malcolm McDowall. The films are a bit weak in all fairness but certainly enjoyable and worth a watch generally. These 14 films are a subset fo the bigger bundles you can get. Despite whats already been said most of the films have fairly well known actors. However the films tend to be from lesser known studios presumably why prism can get them so cheap is because the film companies in question don't have a good major leaque film studio to sell them for them in the uk. The prism dv302 player is an absolutely superb bargain. Just seems to do everything well including playing all media and formats. Its nicely presented too with a multicolour display and mirror finish. Multiregion not a problem either. Perhaps safeway will run the same offer again.

8. The Hemulen

The Hemulen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9