101 Uses for a Dead Philips DVDR-80

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by J_R_D, Mar 10, 2005.

1. J_R_D

J_R_D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My DVDR-80 has gone the way of most other people's DVDR-80s and popped its clogs - multiple DISC ERRs on almost every disc - 2 months after the warranty ran out. Philips want £25+VAT to collect it and £55+VAT to look at it, THEN they'll tell me how much they'll charge to fix it (or more likely replace it with one which hopefully hasn't been made from bits from skips outside various factories in China).

Anyone had any success getting Philips to admit their early models were rubbish and extend the warranty? Or anyone fixed them with a well-placed blow of the fist?

I'm disinclined to pay £100+ to fix, probably only temporarily, a poor-quality machine, when I can buy a new Panasonic or Pioneer for £180.

Thanks,

JRD

2. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
  3. J_R_D

J_R_D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that; everyone on that thread is talking about 880s/980s but I suspect the early DVDR-75/80/90 had pretty much the same internals, and mine was one of the first 80s to become available in the UK. It's certainly displaying all the same problems, caused by the laser unit presumably. I will try my luck getting an returns authorisation number from Philips. I will compromise on just one free repair since to be honest if it fails again it's going in the bin even if it is under warranty.

4. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

I have a 980 that has gone the same way twice. Philips Ireland are dealing with it and have "suggested" they may offer me a new model at a discounted price. Given that the 980 was almost £600 when new and their current models are around the £200 mark, I wonder what model they'll offer and what the discount will be.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,281
    That's very nice of them - given their current range aren't anywhere near the same league in build quality/construction as their 'original' machines!

6. bilbo_2212

bilbo_2212
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had similar problem with a Philips DVD player ......returned,fixed,went faulty a number of times. Similarily, unit/repairs cost over £500, and "discount "offered :mad:
    I'm wondering would anyone recommend a Philips DVD recorder that's a good, reliable,quality machine with prog.scan out. Or are Philips DVD recorders to be avoided? Any thoughts on getting the discount off a 9986 LCD instead?

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,281
    Philips DVD recorders are to be avoided if you have any sense. So far every generation of Philips DVD recorders have had problems with most manifesting themselves around the 12-24 month period. Avoid - there is much better out there...

8. SAMMYTHE

SAMMYTHE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Rasczak,
    Do you have the same thoughts on other Philips products, ie. TV,s. Why do Philips products not suffer from bad reports in the monthly,s?

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,281
    Philips make some good products - you can't dismiss a whole brand simply based on their DVD recorders. And many of their products are simply branded Philips and are made by other producers - they don't necessarily even use Philips components.

I still have a very, very good steam iron from Philips that has been working for years!

Their DVD recorders are starting to - when did you last see a Philips machine get a 'Product Of The Month' or enter the Top 5 in any of the 'main' Home Cinema magazines: Home Cinema Choice, What Video, What HiFi etc etc Whereas the main Panasonic, Sony, Toshiba, Pioneer are always fighting for top slot. Relaibility issues will, of course, never be 'tested' in magazines: but even here Philips has the dubious fame of being the only brand to have an ENTIRE What Video helpline devoted to their models! As has been said many times, there is much better out there! Avoid.

10. SAMMYTHE

SAMMYTHE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    But why do the DVD recorders escape from bad press when it,s all too obvious they are unreliable?

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,281
    I was editing my reply when you made your second post so can you re-read my post to see my comments on this. But to expand: they don't. Philips reliability issues have been mentioned every now and then within the Helpline pages, as stated What Video had a whole issue devoted to them on one instance. But ultimately these machines are reviewed/tested as new, they don't use them day in/day out for a year - and it's only after this length of time that the machines start to fail... The monthly's never comment on reliability be it - for example you can say exactly the same about the recent Denon DVD player problems - but nobody doubts for a second they exist.

You should view the monthly's for what they are - a very good spotlight passing over new products but not one that will be give you any guarantees for the future.

12. TobyW

TobyW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My iron works too, except that it leaks water over its input terminals, tripping the earth leakage breaker. Nice one, Philips!

Then there was the mobile phone, whose LCD display gradually displayed fewer and fewer lines until it was unreadable.

As for Philips TV's, mine broke just after the 12-month warranty expired. Philips didn't want to know. I fixed it myself.

Of course, a sample of 1 is a poor statistic. I was probably just unlucky, so take no notice.

13. DVD-RAM

DVD-RAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We had a Philips boom box which did not put a foot wrong for 12+ years, also, our Philips kettle is the dogs biscuits!

14. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I know we're getting off topic, but I've got a Philips fridge we've had for 17 years and has never failed. Also just recently replaced a Philips TV which was also 17; it was still working fine, just upgrading. Gave the TV to my in-laws.

Mark