1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

100x5R standby

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by eisenach, May 18, 2005.

1. eisenach

eisenach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    After a cursory look through the manual for the 100x5R, I can't find what it's power consumption is in standby mode. Does anyone know? So far I've been switching it off completely after each session.

2. caleb

caleb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Not too sure about the power consumption - it won't be very high, but the benefits of having the unit warm when you listen will outweigh the small amount of power used.

3. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I think the only thing running is the microprocessor that awaits a TAG bus command to switch the amp modules on, the modules are not kept warm......

4. caleb

caleb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Interesting comment Graham - in fact no matter how hard I drive my 250x3 - it hardly ever gets more than warm whereas my Bryston 7B SSTs get quite hot.

5. eisenach

eisenach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    So it's not using much power, then. Good!
    Has anyone any idea how much it would use left powered up with no load?
    I've been used to leaving my P60s on most of the time, but with the 100x5R drawing up to 1320W under max load, I'm a bit wary of what it will draw under other circumstances. 1320W are nearly 1 1/2 bars on an electric fire!

6. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I remember correctly its no more than about 30W in standby. But, please forgive me if its not the exact figure as it is all getting a bit hazy

7. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Somewhat amusingly (and technically not complying with UK law which to be fair changed after the 100x5R was designed), the 100x5R manual does not state its standby current draw..... BUT as I thought the PSU's to the amp modules are switched off in standby so the only thing running is the Siemens 16 bit microprossor control and if that used 30Watts I'd be very very surprised..... The amp modules are therefore not kept "warm" at all as they are off....... I'd also agree that the amp never really gets more than mildly luke warm even with flat out running after several hours.... The 250x3R does get a bit warm but never hot. The AV 32R/DP and the AV192R get far hotter even in standby......And they don't use more than 20 odd watts in standby..... As all my units are in the same cabinet I won't be pulling it all out to do a clamp meter test of the amps current draw in standby but as watts equals heat and the amp is stone cold in standby I'm not worried that it consumes very much whilst in this mode at all......

8. hep

hep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @Graham: Correct Sir, the power moduls are switched off. Therefore the power consumption in standby is ~3W. In iddle it should be ~30-50watts.

9. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    ah that sounds far more like it at 3 watts in standby......

10. eisenach

eisenach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thank you, all.