1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

100x5R reliability

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by cj, Oct 11, 2004.

1. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Do these amps have any know reliability problems? I ask because my own has now "lost" 2 channels - one just shuts the amp down whenever I connect it to a speaker, and the other just doesn't produce any sound what so ever. I use it for my 4 rear channels, so am now 1 channel short :(

And this coupled with my AV32R DP showing "Error - no Tag Sync Link" whenever I play a CD.

I'm a bit loath to send them in at the moment as I don't wish to be without for 6-8 weeks... :mad:

2. Pooley

Pooley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a 100x5R for over 3 years and never had a problem with it. Sometimes during storms or if there's a brief powercut, the unit resets and some of the channels don't come back on. Just powering off, removing the mains lead and then reinserting the lead and powering back on restores all the channels. Strangely, you have to unplug the mains lead for this to work, just powering off and on using the switch on the front doesn't seem to work.

Have you tried fully unplugging the unit and then plugging back in and switching on?

3. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So far no problems.

4. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I've not tried that - will give it a go. Thanks for the tip.

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    CJ, Pooleys experience is just like mine, the unit has proved to be highly reliable in operation. Turning the mains switch off will kill the five channels but not the standby transformer with all the circuitry that controls / monitors the five channels. Un plug the mains and leave for 30 secs, then plug in again and the system will ‘do a full reset'. The original fault may be something as simple as a glitch on the mains at which point it will protect itself. This will sort it generally.

6. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Thanks guys - pulled the power for about a minute tried again but no luck. Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and send it in :(

7. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cj, have you managed to contact the helpdesk succesfully? For 2 days that I get bounced e-mails…

8. Pooley

Pooley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definitely sounds like you have a fault with the unit. Bit surprised with this, as I thought the amps to be pretty bullet-proof with all that built in protection.

At least you can get the other amp modules serviced and have the latest firmware installed when you send it in.

9. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Sent an email in but no reply yet - I will phone them today.

10. TaxHamster

TaxHamster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    IAG are currently experiencing extensive email "difficulties", I'd suggest resorting to the telephone for contact.

Hope this helps...

11. RuiGil

RuiGil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, this is my first contribution at the AV Forums, so please be patient.

Two weeks ago I bought a brand new 100x5r. After instaling it, I've noticed that module 2 didn't work, although the led was on and everything seemed OK. I checked the connections twice and everything was OK. Meanwhile I've noticed that, when configuring the amplifier throught the Av32r DP, in the menu where you assign the modules to the channels (R, L, C, SR, SL), there wasn't a relay click when I selected module two (SL), so I took the amplifier to the Portuguese representative.

Yesterday they delivered the amplifier to me and said that the fault was caused by an internal fuse. Explained to me that these fuses are installed before each one of the controlling relays (at the control board) that control each one of the channels. So they replaced all the fuses by more tolerant ones, as they usually do.

So as a conclusion, and only if you have the minimal skills related to electronics, after disconnecting the power cord and all other connections, check if any of this fuses are burned. If it is burned, replace it by a similar one. If it burns again, don't try to replace it again, your amplifier module is dead and the amplifier must go for IAG. If not, enjoy it.

Hope this helps.

PS: Beware that you should know what you're doing, otherwise sent it to IAG.

12. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Thanks RuiGil and welcome to the forums :)

This is exactly what mine does (or doesn't do) on module 3 - is the fuse easy to spot? Anyone know which replacement fuse I might need?

13. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    No one got any 'fuse' tips? My screwdriver is getting restless...

14. Pooley

Pooley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends if your amp is still under warranty. If it isn't, then there's nothing to stop you taking the cover off and going to work with a continuity tester to try and find the fault. At least a fuse should be easy to spot.

Please be careful if you decide to do this. There's bound to be capacitors in these things that would hold a charge for some time. I suggest you only have a go at this if you know what you're doing and have the proper kit. Me, I'd get a competent mate with knowledge of electrical systems to do it. Your choice....