100x5R Power Amp v 700:7r Power Amp

austingabriel

Standard Member
Hi, Could anyone advise me which amp to go for and the relative pros and cons? I am looking to partner with the av32r 7.1 and a dvd32r. Thanks.

scarty16

the 700 model has only 1 transformer I believe and the 100x5r has a separate own for each channel, amongst many other different changes. The prices reflected this.

It always seemed to me that the 700 was aimed at AV30R owners whilst the 100x5r, 7r, 8r and 10r were aimed at the AV32RSP, AV32RDP and AV192R owners.

B

bladimiros

The only advantage providing by 7x100 Tag amp is that you can use the bridge mode if your needs exceed the 100 watts per chanel ....100x5r ,i own one to feed my 5 surround speakers,is a monoblock design with 5 separate amps under the same box and it`s a far better machine...

tag av32r bp 192 ex.,2 bryston 4bsst in bridge mode with 2 bw n802,dvd 32r ,cd 20 t 2l..100x5r with 5 bw n805,,and velodyne sub 18 dd...sony lcd 60 sx 300....:clap:

scarty16

From memory wasn't the 100x5r measured at over 120w and not the suggested 100w.

Also again from memory if you the 7r and above versions you could bridge the 85w(?) modules, so you would have similar capabilities to the 700r model.

B

bladimiros

120 watts output indeed...but it`s also for the 700/7 ..on the other hand when used in bridge mode it can deliver 2 chanels of 150 watts /8ohm and 3 of 100 watts....but as i already said the 100x5r is a more precise and well structed machine and for my taste it`s a more reliable and well sounded amp ...the only thing is the right choice of speakers...cause i already use it for n805 ..a fine combination..but when i tested it with n802 when i`ve made my upgrade it was awful...thats why i use 2 bryston 4bsst in bridge mode thats 900 watts per speaker ,,even the one bryston i first used was too little for nautilus 802,,...best regards from sunny and extremely hot Greece

Nic Rhodes

I clock my 100x5r at over 150w x 5, it was very conservatively spec'd. I think just shy of 155w, bt I could be measuring it wrong ;)

austingabriel

Standard Member
I have Calliopes + base modules front, calliope centre plus calliopes rear. I don't know if it's worth utilising the 7.1 feature of my av32r or even which extra speakers I should use. Will the 100 x5r be significantly better than the 700:7r with this set up. Many thanks.

GrahamMG

Nic Rhodes said:
I clock my 100x5r at over 150w x 5, it was very conservatively spec'd. I think just shy of 155w, bt I could be measuring it wrong ;)
I would agree its an easy 150W. Practically bombproof as well......

Nic Rhodes

Conservatively rated, it actually produced just over 170W/ch into 8 ohms across the audio band; it gave 22.26dbW at 1kHz, with a fine power bandwidth. There was ample peak current capacity and a 4 ohm load raised 245W per channel mid-band while with 2 ohms it almost doubled again to 512W 21.1dbW. Output impedance was very low, while the peak current capacity exceeded +/-25A. Distortion was extremely low, approaching 100dB down overall at full power (0.001%), even down to 0.0007%, for 1kHz. A fairly ‘sweet' spread of harmonics was evident at a vanishingly small -112dB level.

Hi-Fi News - March 2001

seems I wasn't so far from the truth.

Stevesky

Novice Member
Well, it all depends how you measure your watts! ;)

I come from a school where max power output is measured at 0.1% distortion into 8ohms resistive and it's continous. These new fangled figures are based around 1% distortion (or if you're class D, class T then call that 10% distortion) with a blizzard blowing over the amp at the time to stop it melting down! :D

If we're measuring real watts then a 100x5R comes in just over 100watts at these figures (depending on mains voltage and component tollerences). You can squeeze 150watts out of it, but in my book that's marketing watts as by then it will sound pretty horrible and is by no means hifi.

Considering the price you can pick a 100x5R for nowadays, they are an absolute bargain and a better bet than the 700:7R. Tonally I find the 100x5R can have a slight bright edge which the 700:7R doesn't have, but attach the 100x5R to an easy to drive pair of speakers then this brightness will be minimised.

B

bladimiros

austingabriel said:
I have Calliopes + base modules front, calliope centre plus calliopes rear. I don't know if it's worth utilising the 7.1 feature of my av32r or even which extra speakers I should use. Will the 100 x5r be significantly better than the 700:7r with this set up. Many thanks.
the 7.1 feature is very usefull and it `s worth giving it a try as long as you can use movies encoded with dd/ex and combining it with thx ex surround feature from the av32 bp /ex...besides that the 7.1 formation still gives more ambient and space dimension even when used without the thx ex or even when it is been used with material with simple dd or dts encoding...but as i said it`s better with the thx ultra specification...