1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

100x5R:10 AKA 150x5R

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by laalves, Mar 15, 2005.

1. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi all,

In continuing the feeding/upgrading frenzy while stocks it last, and considering my impossibility of audiotioning, does anyone have experience with the 100x5R:10?

I'm considering one of these with 3 monoblocs plus two stereo modules. I would most likely bridge the two stereos to get 5 x 150 and add my current 100P to power the surround-back channels, completing my objective of 7 channels.

Or maybe use the 150x5 to power everything, unbridged, and send the 100P to the office stereo to join the 8000S as the power section.

Summing up, is the 100x5R:10 worth the extra £££ over the standard 100x5R in terms of sound quality? At sevenoaks, it's aprox. 1300£ versus 2700£.

It terms of price, it's a halfway between a 5 channel 250 configuration (2 monos plus one 3 channel, a 5500£ setback.....) and the smaller 100x5R. Is it halfway in sound quality too, or is it so close to the standard 1300£ version that makes it not worth the extra £££???? :lease:

Luis

2. Tantalus

Tantalus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Answer is, no.

3. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Now that's what I call quick and positive......... :clap:

Other corroborating opinions?

Luis

4. Spen69

Spen69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The answer is definitely no if you already have a spare 100P and don't want the Tag bus to control everything. I personally think the idea of the 3x150W and 4x80W in one case is a great one, but the cost is ridiculous. :thumbsdow

If you're not sure, buy two 100x5R's - you'll still have change! Even a vanilla AV232R bog standard machine can control two, so you can bi-amp everything you fancy.

Cheaper to just buy one and use your 100P. Put the 100P behind the sofa so you can reach the power switch. Much cheaper than a second unit, and spend the change on something else! :D

5. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Mmmmmmm.....

Actually, if I end up by going the standard 100x5R way (it seems I'm going that way), I would put the action switches of my AV32R-EX to work and make a small box to put a 12V transformer and a pair of 12V-230V relais inside it and a cable with a RS232 plug coming out of it to control the 100P and my PPA20. BTW, this last piece of S/H kit was the most noticeable sound quality improvement upgrade I have done so far. It is very, very good to my ears indeed.

Luis

6. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well after much thought, I ended up by ordering one 100x5R and one 250x3R from Sevenoaks for 3000£ plus VAT..... :oops:

I can't believe the amount of money I have been blowing without previous careful auditioning, as I always have done with all my hifi gear..... :(

Oh well, so far I have been loving my recent TAG purchases that I have already so I don't believe I will go much wrong. At this very moment, I'm working in my laptop and listening to Antena 2 classical FM station (still missing the internal BNC lead from Phil@IAG to test the same station in 224kbps DAB...) through my lovely T32R and cherishing every cent I spent so far in TAG stuff :thumbsup: :D

Luis :devil:

7. Spen69

Spen69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £3k plus VAT is a good enough price for the two amps, so :thumbsup: you'll enjoy them!