100th Window - Massive Attack

S

Squirrel God

In a word.... awesome. Bit of a change in style with the lads dropping it down a beat or two but it's marvellous. Check out that hidden bonus track - atmospheric to say the least.

As Siskel and Ebert would say - 2 THUMBS UP! :D

Hidden bonus track, will have to go and have a look now! Listening to it now, think its really good so far so thumbs up for me as well:smashin:

There is something strange about this disc..

I get all my CDs and DVDs delivered to my office.. usually rip a CD to mp3 then take it home. This one wouldnt rip (using cdparanoia on Linux) - stuck it in my Windows box and it seems to have its own media player on the CD itself! strange, it installs itself and starts playing. If you then look at the disc in explorer you can see a player.exe and some other stuff (cant remember what).

Well, it plays fine in my Arcam DV88 and my car stereo, so no problem there.

Anyone know what this is about?

It has copy protection on it mate.

At least my Hong Kong release does anyway.

Check the sticker on the back.

Left it in the car so cant check.. didnt notice anything on the cover.

Do copy protection disks always come with a windows player on them?

Only come across a couple of protected disks before and my computers couldnt read them at all (i thought thats how it worked) - but thats not the case here.. my Linux apps got the track info coz it recognised it as '100th Window' but then failed when ripping... and my Windows machine seemed fine either with this player.exe on the disk or with windows media player.

That is not my experience with copy protection in the past - they usually just sit in the drive spinning around saying 'what the hell is this?' :)

They used to be unrecognisable, but people complained so they reached a compromise whereby they put their own player on the disks. So now, if you want to play it on your PC, you have to use their player, you have no choice :rolleyes:

All rather silly and various techniques exist for getting round some of the copy protection techniques that are used but we won't talk about that here.

Ahh i see. Lets not turn this into a debate on copy protection - i am sure that must have been discussed a lot. But that is stupid! So to be able to listen to it on my computer they want me to go and download it from someone who has managed to crack it ? This encourages piracy, not stops it. When will they learn.

As you say, let's not turn this into a debate about copy protection - yes there have been numerous threads on this in the past.

No, you don't need to download it from someone who has cracked it. There are programs available that you can run in the background prior to inserting your original CD or which let you copy the disk and will strip out the copy protection during the copy process.

Sometimes they only put copy protection on a proportion of the CDs they distribute so can be pot luck whether you get an unprotected or protected one (now there's real stupidity!). For example, I have an unprotected copy of Natalie Imbruglia's last album. Original, legal, just doesn't have it on.

Anyway, great album :D

Only listened to it a couple of times so far.. prefer Mezzanine i think.. but maybe it will grow on me.

Got it yesterday, so far so good...

it's unfair to call it massive attack, two of the lads have left and its just Del Naja or whatever his name is doing this one.

Mezzanine was good in fact bordering on great but I felt it was trying to be ultra trendy for the sake of it, it took no risks and played it completely straight faced, Blue Lines and Protection were much more fun.

It's a big disappointment, for me. Definitely their worst album to date.

There's little variation in the music with much of the tracks sounding too similar/repetitive which may be a consequence of (as James45 says) Massive Attack now being just the one member. I think they've lost the variety which made the first 3 albums so great.

-- Barry

I like the album a lot. Track 6 rocks my boat, but i don't think there's a bad track on there, although the 13min hidden track is a bit monotonous. Massive were quoted in saying it was music to **** too or something. 13min!!:)

If anyones interested the publishing guys in our studio managed to copy it with [We don't condone piracy on the forums ;)].

[Edited by SG for swearing and piracy condonation]

Oh yeh, Massive still has two members 3d and daddyg. Horace Andy might as well be thought of as an honorary member also. Its only mushroom that has recently departed. daddyg's vocals are't used much these days which I think is a shame.

Wilf :

Oh yeh, Massive still has two members 3d and daddyg.
Didn't Daddy G have almost no involvement with 100th Window ??? I'm sure I read somewhere that he was going to sit this one out cause of other non-musical commitments.

Looks like your right Whiting

quote: the-raft.com

"The album was written and produced by 3D and Mezzanine co-producer Neil Davidge, while Massive Attack’s other member Grant ‘Daddy Gee’ Marshal took time out from the studio."

Its a bit the same throughout but their albums take months to grow on you. Still my favourite band of all.

The copy protection really p*ssed me off. The player.exe installed stuff on my machine without asking, a serious crime, and then played really badly. Therefore I could not listen to the disc at all at work. Examining the files on the cd I figured out that the software is some macrovision stuff cds-200. Apparently it has proven worldwide success. If sounding ****e is your qualification.

Anyway to get a copy of my album on my laptop so that I could listen to the music I paid for I used my ace USB Digital audio dooffer - an Abit UA11 to record the stream coming from the cd player. I now have the wavs of the album on my laptop. And no, I'm not giving them to anyone because I don't believe in that.

Originally posted by James45
so who the frek is Robert del Naja? is he 3D?

yep. 3D is also doing some work with 2D :) That's Damien Albarn apparently. They have been involved in the anti war campaign and are working on some new stuff.

www.100thwindow.com- see the message board for lots of info

Massive albums have always been growers. Well worth persevering if your not sure. Great if like me you liked it from the outset

would have thought 3D was pro war seeing how dark and aggressive Mezzanine is. :D Don't get me wrong I'll probably get this album soon.

Ive maybe joined this discussuion a little late, anyway a top drawer album my only servation is Sinead OConnor (But that’s just me quite a few dudes like her particapation) Anyway a nice way to join in this thread would be to part copy some vibes from this thread : http://forum.hifichoice.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3958

Good to see what everyone likes in this album a lot of people seem to like Sinead OConnor, I aint saying your wrong but for me personally I can never listen to the woman after being tortured to the brink of death as a teenager with “Nuthin Compaers to U” (aaaaaaaaaaaargggggggggggggggggh make the sound go away) , I have 4 standouts tracks that I love from 100th window, a sure fire top ten album of 2003.

9. Antistar (*****)
1. Future Proof (*****)
7. Small Time Shot Away (****)
8. Name Taken (****)

And a couple of others that are quite passable as well. I found exactly the same with Mezzanine really liking the following tracks from that album these being standouts :

Black Milk (*****)
Rising Son (*****)
Angel (*****)
Teardrop (****)
Inertia Creeps (****)

So is Mezzanine a better album ? It was groundbreaking certainly but this is a great return to form, if you like Sinead OConnor then its a 10/10 I reckon. Is Mezzanine or 100th
Window better than Trickys Maxinquaye? Oh dear questions questions !! Anyway here are some more vibes of this great album :

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom