100hz set top box

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by wadds, Nov 13, 2003.

1. wadds

wadds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering if anyone out there knows of a set top box that is optimised for 100Hz TV’s. I have a PD30 and having picture quality problems, seemingly this affects all 100Hz TV’s, and looking for a solution. A kind man at SKY said that I’m probably experiencing this problem due to the fact that my set top box (Amstrad DRX300) is optimised for 50Hz viewing.

So does anybody out there know of any good set top boxes?

John.

2. Ricco

Ricco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Might be wrong here, but I did not think any equipment could output anything higher than 60hz.........

Let us know if you find anything.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    IIRC 100HZ only effects the terristrial broadcasts not external sources.

4. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,292
    This is caused by two things.

1. In an effort to squeeze as many channels as possible into the available space, the broadcasters reduce the bitrate of the broadcasts below what many people consider acceptable. This leads to MPEG artefacts on pictures with any fast moving content. Fire, moving water and fast moving sports such as football show this up well.

2. Most 100Hz TVs don't cope well with fast movement even on analogue broadcasts due to lack of processing power. They will try to process both the fast moving picture and the MPEG artefacts mentioned above. Some sets cope with this better than others but the result can sometimes be pretty horrible to look at. The ultimate answer is for the broadcasters to increase the bitrate but I can't see that happening on satellite for commercial reasons. It may possibly happen on Freeview in the future when (if) analogue frequencies are re-allocated for digital transmissions.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    as you have a PD30 why not turn 100hz off or try the 75Hz mode???

6. wadds

wadds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks to the both of you,

As suggested I have already tried reducing the settings to 75Hz and it does make an improvement however still a bit fuzzy for my liking. Maybe I’m just expecting too much from the advancements in technology or maybe I’m just sitting too close to it.

I have heard that running Sky+ helps the picture if run through S video, is this true, and if so what is the second version like, reliability, performance etc?

John