100Hz Question.

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Tel boy, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Tel boy

Tel boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I know that a 100Hz TV processes the picture so it can refresh the image twice as fast, 100 times a second, compared to a 50Hz, 50 times a second.

But is the Tube in a 100Hz TV actually different from that in a 50Hz TV, or is it the same tube with a different refresh rate.

EG. Take the Panasonic 32PB50(100Hz) will the Tube in this TV be different to that in the 32PL1(50Hz).

The reason I ask,
    I have viewed quite a few 32PB50 (100Hz) TV sets at different retailers & on every 1 I have noticed that there is quite a bad downward bowing that is apparent in the bottom right corner of the screen. This is easier to spot if you get the volume bar up on screen.
    However this is not apparent on the 32PL1 (50Hz) or any of the range that uses the 50Hz 32 inch tube.
    I can’t understand how they can have this bowing on the 32 inch 100Hz tube but not on the 32 inch 50 Hz tube.

Any comments, Tel. :confused:

2. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    100Hz sets use the same basic tube but with different horizontal deflection coils. The coils must have the right characteristics to work at the higher frequencies; their inductance is lower. I forgot what little I knew about inductance so I'm unable to tell why exactly :)

Geometry is more difficult to control in 100Hz sets because of the higher frequencies. It tends to be a problem on the bigger sets.

3. MikeyB

MikeyB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have never liked the picture from any 100Hz TV I've seen, I know this is all to do with personal preferences. The picture alsways looks a lot softer, and almost blurred and out of focus to me.