100HZ Plasma Tv's

AKM

Established Member
Reaction score
I curretnly run a Sony 36" widescreen Tv which is 100HZ and I plan to buy a plasma (looking at the Hitachi 42PD5300 for ease of wall install). The Pic from my SONY is superb! Are the plasma's out there also 100HZ or do they use 50HZ technology or does it not matter?

Thanks

Plasmas are a progressive device. In theory this proceessing is ment to give a more cinematic and better image. Some people however will notice a slight flicker to the image espesially if they have been used to 100hrz flicker free televisions. I noticed this a little when I bought My Panasonic Vierra. After a while though you get used to it.Some peole do not even notice the flicker any way.
Do a search on these forums for progressive scan and you will get an idear of a plasmas picture prossesing.

It's a fundamental and unavoidable part of CRT that they have to scan the picture, line by line. 100hz processing increases the speed at which this is done and reduces flicker.

There's nothing fundamental about Plasmas that forces them to scan like CRTs do. So, it is theoretically possible to make a wholly flicker free Plasma.

However, I can say, as one who is able to see flickering up to about 80hz, that Plasmas vary in this; some have (to me) no visible flicker, whereas others do so quite noticably. The worst culprits were Panasonic although I suspect this has changed with later models.

100hz is only essential (to avoid flicker) on CRTs. Depending on how the pixels are energised, a 50hz Plasma does not need to flicker (although, as I say, some do).

Some Panasonics do have Quasi 100Hz. However nigel is right CRT addresses the flicker issues by scanning at twice the rate.

Viera's, like the PW6, have "Quasi-100hz" - it's just not mentioned in the sales blurb :)

I'm pretty sensitive to flicker and was worried that changing from a 100hz TV to a plasma would be a step backwards for this reason. However, I have to say that my 42" Viera is *almost* flicker free to my eyes. Sure, in a bright room with the picture set to dynamic, looking at a snow scene out of the corner of my eye I can see some flicker - but in the evening, using cinema settings, it's not an issue at all - thank God! :clap:

And even under the worst conditions the slight flicker is nothing compared to what I used to see on my 36" PD30 in progressive (as opposed to 75/833 or 100hz) mode :eek:

AKM said:
I curretnly run a Sony 36" widescreen Tv which is 100HZ and I plan to buy a plasma (looking at the Hitachi 42PD5300 for ease of wall install). The Pic from my SONY is superb! Are the plasma's out there also 100HZ or do they use 50HZ technology or does it not matter?

Thanks
Whilst it is true that most plasmas are progressive display devices the Hitachi that you're looking at is an interlaced display using ALiS panel technology. I'm not sure what frequency they use but maybe they would quote this on their website?

S.

Thanks for all the replies. I've checked the hitachi website and it doesn't say!

Alis refeshes at 60Hz, but in fact only 1/2 the pixels at once. So a complete refresh only 30Hz. Annoys the hell out of me, but lots of people seem unable to see it. The picute on this screen will be as far apart from you CRT as it's possible to get in plasma. It might not be true to say this is an interlaced display, it's something else, ALIS is poorly documented and understood. I don't quite understand what's easy or difficult about wall mounting 1 plasma or another, in fact I'd say it's not the plasma but the rest of the setup that causes difficulties.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom