100Hz or not....?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by julian.roberts, Sep 17, 2007.

Tags:
  1. julian.roberts

julian.roberts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking (perhaps niavely) that I could decide between two 1080p LCD TVs (Sony KDL40W2000 and the Samsung LE40M86BD) I ventured forth to my local retailer with my wallet (and best internet prices).

Having then struggled to find a salesman with any sense of objectivity and a sound knowledge of the market, I enentually got thrown an unpected curve-ball, 100Hz or not 100Hz.

Returning home with credit card in tact I found this forum and the HDVTest site. Having read the reviews for the W2000, M86 - and then the Sony D3000 and Samsung F86, I am just plain confused.

Thinking ahead, I have come to the view that 1080p should be the way to go. But, what of 100Hz. Is is a fad or a must-have? Has it been better implemented by Sony or Samsung...?

As you can tell I'm a bit of a novice, so would really appreciate any comments from the many 'experts' that contribute to this forum.

Many thanks

2. nitro23456

nitro23456
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    100hz is a massive improvement for motion such as sport and fast moving movies.

I would advise to go for it. what store and where did you view?

3. Nielo TM

Nielo TM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    100/120Hz processing does work wonders if done correctly. Thankfully, you can disable it in Samsung and Sony range.

PS: You only need to enable it when viewing full motion detail (50 or 60i/p) contents.

4. julian.roberts

julian.roberts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nitro

Thanks for your response. I was in Allders in Croydon. They have a good range of LCDs and Plasmas, and you have a good chance of being served. Despite what I said, I still think these guys have a better technical knowledge than those in Currys... Wherever you go, I always get the impression that the sales guys are guiding you towards their own personal preferences, than technical objectivity.

Do you think there is much to separate the 40" Sony D3000 or the Samsung F86?

Thanks again

5. RPD_UK

RPD_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I was in my local comet Superstore tonight - as i'm also in the (painful) process of trying to decide which HDTV to buy.

The Sony 40" D3000 was on display and looked much better than i expected. I even switched it to 'standard' (from vivid) and its colours were still very nice - and i couldn't see any 'judder' either - though it was being fed a HD signal at the time. Contrast also seemed very good - even compared to the Pany PX70 Plasma that was sat right next to it.

Another thing i noticed was that the PX70 couldn't do a clean 'white' - instead it showed a rather dirty 'grey' where as the D3000 could do a much more convincing white as well as a very good black (for an LCD).

The Sony W2000 (1080p) also looked impressive (being fed 1080p from a PS3) and is available online very cheap these days (considering its original rrp) but doesn't have the 100hz motion flow or 24p of the D3000.

They didn't have the Samsung F86 on display.

How we are supposed to make a decision with so many models/variables i just don't know.

And don't get me started on the new 1080p models coming out soon from Sony, Toshiba and Sharp.

Good luck making a decision. :)

6. THE GFP

THE GFP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    i bought my D3000 rather than the W2000 due to it being 100ghz and i watch alot of football and ive noticed no luring at all from my set

its crisp and sharp even on SD and HD is near perfection

now i want the 46" version

7. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Not too sure about this, certainly don't need 100hz for flicker, and isn't faster discharge time on LCD more important?

If there were 100hz sets, I would want 100hz support on the inputs themselves, not the internal processing of 25/50/60hz inputs via sources. ie if you use a HTPC output 1920x1080 @ 100hz over HDMI, that way no processing, apart from videocard driver doing refresh upscaling of the video, which is probably superior to that of the TV, for 50/60hz material.

8. tonyten

tonyten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    My tele doesn't have 100Hz and I sure don't need it. I can watch a football with no problems, clear as daylight. I guess some TV's need it more than others :D

9. Nielo TM

Nielo TM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    100/120Hz on LCDs is totally different to CRTs.

btw, you cant input [email protected] via HDMI and even if manage to, its still wont do anything to improve the image