100hz OR NOT? IS THE Question.

Fennn

Banned
Right, I am reading allot of conflicting advice here, perhaps we could get down to it with nothing else to discuss.

I am going to plug my PC into my new TV and watch 1080p (mostly) material, and, I may try playing some PC games on it, but I cannot see it being much good so tbh, so my priority is watching movies/tv from my PC.

What will 100hz OFFER ME?

I have heard many people talk like it is a DOWNside and other people say its BETER.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP

vickster

Distinguished Member
Not a lot unless you watch lots of fast-moving sport, like football :)

Fennn

Banned
so how much worse is watching football on a none 100hz tv than on my old Panasonic 28" Quintrix (awsome old beast)
i6dug0.jpg

I do nto watch ALLOT of sport however I certainly want to BE ABLE to if i feel like watching a game/or something

vickster

Distinguished Member
If you do like to watch football without a blurry ball, best to go plasma or 100hz then...the plasma will be closer to your CRT than LCD for standard def

Fennn

Banned
OK thanks for clearning that up, now I need to know what sort of detramental effect 100hz will have on using the TV with my PC, I hear 100hz is generally bad for PC usage - oddly.

as with PC monitors the higher the hz the btter normally.

S Bibby

Hi,
I have an LCD TV with 100Hz and I am actually familiar with 100Hz CRT TVs. I really don't notice much motion blur but then I'm not really watching sport, kung-fu or whatever. The general effect on 100Hz is to smooth-out transitions.

To get past the sales talk, 100Hz will improve the fluidity of the picture and motion will look somewhat smoother. On the other hand, the technical term for this technology on LCD TVs is motion interpolation or frame conversion. This means that the TV processing adds two new frames for each existing one. Some say this looks artificial or produces artefacts or digital noise. I don't notice much of the latter but the former might well be subjective.

I have to say I wasn't really that bothered about 100Hz after some time but I ended up buying a 100Hz LCD TV for various reasons, and I don't have many issues with it.

YellowSphere

100Hz systems definitely often product artefacts, usually on objects that are meant to remain static within the frame with movement underneath them. It's especially bad when it's transparent. Try watching BBC HD for example, and the logo will cut and tear up when there's lots of stuff going on behind it.

Of course, how much it happens will depend on how well implemented your particular manufacturer's 100Hz is, but I've never seen one that's never ever affected by this.

Basically, the fundamental compromise with any frame interpolation system is that, whilst it'll improve the apparent smoothness of the picture, it is also guessing, and it follows that it can quite easily guess incorrectly, since there are so many variables involved with movement within a frame of film or video.

You can only decide by seeing it.

The final thing to be aware of is that often there can be more subtle differences between sets where it appears the only difference is one has 100Hz which may point towards that being a better model anyway. Most of the LCD models that I would consider buying for myself have MCFI modes, though I would be highly highly unlikely to actually use them.

Fennn

Banned
Thanks very much.

I do watch ALLOT of MMA (UFC- Ultimate Fighting Championship, etc etc)

I watch MMA on my 22" LCD Monitor and my Panasonic CRT and have NO problems, (but then my monitor is 60hz) your telling me if I get an LCD TV I am going to get blurry ****? unless I get 100hz ?

S Bibby

Fenn,
I can't say with any certainty but I've not seen any blur so far and this might be a difficult thing to judge. If you can just check reviews/feedback and look at some LCD and Plasma TVs yourself you will probably have an easier decision.

If the Monitor is a regular TN film one the response time is probably quite low (around 5ms), but most LCD TVs have comparable results.

Last edited:
I stumped up the extra to get 100hz but tend to turn it off for anything other than Sky SD content and TBH I struggle to perceive a noticeable difference between on & off for SD.

I use a seperate sound system and for DVD and BR playback, it does nothing for PQ but does lead to a very noticeable lip sync issue which can vary by source and even by film. If it were a constant I could compensate with a fixed delay on the sound system but unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the case

Presumably if the TV was also handling the sound I would expect it to compensate automatically. However, most gamers tend to find a lag problem with 100hz and presumably some also use the TV for sound. Obviously their lag manifests itself as a delay between input and on screen movement etc.

So for SD viewing it may have a perceivable benefit but IMHO thats the only time.

Last edited:

Fennn

Banned
I stumped up the extra to get 100hz but tend to turn it off for anything other than Sky SD content and TBH I struggle to perceive a noticeable difference between on & off for SD.

I use a seperate sound system and for DVD and BR playback, it does nothing for PQ but does lead to a very noticeable lip sync issue which can vary by source and even by film. If it were a constant I could compensate with a fixed delay on the sound system but unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the case

Presumably if the TV was also handling the sound I would expect it to compensate automatically. However, most gamers tend to find a lag problem with 100hz and presumably some also use the TV for sound. Obviously their lag manifests itself as a delay between input and on screen movement etc.

So for SD viewing it may have a perceivable benefit but IMHO thats the only time.

Thanks guys I appreciate that.

Donny Boy

I am also in the 100Mhz or not decision making process and the posts on here are useful.
Ta.

Keep em coming :D

Even movies with a moving & panning camera can benefit from 100hz.
My opinion is as long as you can switch it off when needed, it's worth having.

S Bibby

I think most of what has been said here is accurate, since I have several settings for 100Hz and it does only differ slightly. Having said that, perhaps slight differences do make more of an impression for some people.

The Cinema settings I have are basically 24p or straight pulldown and some 100Hz settings which can be higher or lower. My instruction manual claims that the higher setting is pure 100Hz and the lowest one provides natural motion. This can vary between manufacturers but I believe most of them have some degree of control. I suppose the best bet might be to take a look in a shop or dealer and try it out for yourself with the material you are familiar with.

Cheers,
Simon

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom