• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

100Hz or not for Freeview / SD footie

baldydad

Standard Member
I have about 5 days left to make a decision on LCD for my newly extended lounge. My old faithful 28" CRT looks lost in it!
Main use at present will be freeview via aerial--do not intend to get freesat or Sky / NTL anytime soon. The gurny kids may hook their 360 & Wii when their mates are round but they already have a Samsung LE26R74 (with Games mode) in the other room for these.
The boss will need a PVR but we don`t tend to rent in many DVDs.
I had swung to Sammy LE46F86 for its 100Hz & motion system for watching footie etc but I looked at (famous threaded) LE46M86 in Currys today beside a 46 Sony Bravia -both on SD --& it looked great but no sport showing at time. I got the PFY to turn the volume up & that was also acceptable--obviously the Gurnykids want a £350 sound system but the builder didn`t leave me much spare after his butty & I already have trouble with the neighbours !
I see peeps in here giving the Philips 47PFL & Tosh42 good credits & I am fairly open to educated comment. Any LG fans?
I accept that I may not need the 100Hz system for most of my viewing so comments on sport viewing on alternatives very welcome, and the £££ saved would be useful for other toys (360 steering wheel or Pyramat sound rocker!) or a nicer furniture stand !
Budget for screen £1400 ish.
Minimum viewing distance 6ft--max 20ft normally 10--13ft.
I think a 50" will be TOOOO big / gawdy in the room.

I would prefer (no particular merit)
LCD not plasma
46"ish to 40"
Good built-in sound
Better than acceptable 360 & Wii play
Watchable Freeview SD footie / sport.
Pleasing on the eye.

I am also still trying to figure which Sammy LCDs have anti glare?

Thanks in anticipation

brain_stew

Established Member
Any reason why you won't go plasma? Given your usage, I'd say that's the way to go as no 46" LCD is going to match, say a PX60 or Pioneer with SD material. Not to mention you'd save a lot of cash if you bought a PX60 instead. It seems foolish to right off this option given that it looks to suit your needs best, a 1080p LCD seems like a poor investment for a freeview telly.

BTW this is coming from someone who's just placed an order for a 1080P LCD, but that's because HD performance is much more important for me. I've just helpmed my dad buy a TV and since he's basically 100% SDTV and loves watching football he went with a Samsung plasma.

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
With such budget,you have to celect 40" or 46" first to suggest the best

baldydad

Standard Member
Ta Brain_Stew.
I had read in here that plasma was not that good for gamers--I know 360 not top of list but I got the impression that plasma was now on the way out--sure I can get a BIG plasma for less dosh but with everything moving towards "higher" def I don`t want to buy into old technology. Kids would not respect burn in issues so plasma would probably get abused !
My main concern is probably smooth display of footie etc. Does plasma handle this well?
Cheers
Al

baldydad

Standard Member
Chrisgeo
it`s a bit cart / horse-- chicken / egg !! I think!
I`v seen Sammy LE46F86 on DABs £1384 & 46M £1100 so I could get decent 46" in budget.
I know if I push the spec up I may only get 40" for same money--my query probably is what features get me the acceptable sports viewing without buying into other complications I won`t have much use for--almost a KISS scenario.
I think 46" is right for the room size but do I really need the Sony X3500 / Sammy "F" (or whoever) clever (& expensive) motion versions to achieve smooth viewing?

Cheers
Al

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
Hmmm,but some F86 disable 100Hz because it causes more motion problems though!Anyway I agree that with your viewing distance ideal is 46",so 46F86 or Sony KDL-46W3000 for slightly more

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom