100Hz or 50Hz?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by bazzae123, Mar 10, 2002.

1. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a Toshiba 32ZD08B for a couple of years now and to be quite honest I not sure that I've ever liked it. Although it looks great on DVD and some digital programs the main stream terrestrial looks horrid some times. It appears to be grainy. Is this the problem with 100hz sets. The Toshiba came out great in tests at the time but I often wonder if a 50hz set is just as good. Another problem is my Toshiba was just taken back for a intermittent fault on the surround system (which they didn't fix) and they lent me a 28" wide screen Sony which I laughed at when they brought in the door but after living with it for a couple of weeks made me rethink the whole idea of 100Hz sets. Now that I have my Toshiba back the picture looks even worst than I remember. Every thing looks grainy and the skin tones I just cant get right. I'm sure TV's costing this much should look a lot better and you should be proud of them. Sometimes I'm embarrassed when people come around and have to suffer such visions.

Are all 100Hz set like this and is 50Hz just as good these days.

Regards

Bazza

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    100Hz and 50Hz are just the refresh rates and should not cause your picture to become grainy, that will be down to the quality of the broadcasts, as you said "pictures look great on DVD".
    Some 100Hz sets do have some side effects, strobing being one of them, a fast moving object leaving the image behind, not grainy pictures.
    I don't think a 50Hz set will get rid of your grainy pictures.

3. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree with bob on this.

Have you got DNR turned on (should be off)? and is your sharpness setting turned up (should be low as poss)?

4. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.

DTR is off and sharpness is about -20. I will turn it right down.

I suppose the alternative question is. Is a 100Hz picture as clear and defined as a 50Hz? I think the thing I don't like is the "silky" looking appearance on some broadcasts.

Bazza

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I don't like the "silky" effect either, I took the safe route - 50Hz. but then I don't notice flicker!

6. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My previous set, a Toshiba 32MW7DB, was 100hz and the picture wasn't grainy but it did have a tendency to make studio shots appear over processed. My current set, a Toshiba 32ZP18P, doesn't suffer with this at all.

100hz technology has moved on a fair bit in the last few years. I appreciate 100hz as i can see the flicker and can often hear the 50hz sets whine which is must irritating. I used to get a headache if i watched tv for too long. I don't any longer.

7. RH_Warrior

RH_Warrior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, not to be an a**e, but I must disagree that the difference between 50 and 100Hz is just the refresh rate.
    With 100Hz the picture is comnverted FROM 50Hz, and there are a lot of different ways to do this, with different results.... But the thing is, you cannot add any new, unique information in the picture, only derive from what's already there.
    But sometimes, the results can turn out really good.