1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

100Hz or 50Hz when watching DVDs?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by oliver, Mar 31, 2003.

?
  1. 100Hz is much better than 50Hz

10 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. 50Hz will suffice - 100Hz is not worth the money

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. oliver

oliver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I'm new to this forum, so please be gentle if I'm crossposting or asking something that's already been asked. I did search the whole site to try and make sure I'm not repeating something. :blush:

I'm wondering what you guys here think.

Are 50Hz or 100Hz widescreen TVs best when watching DVDs?

I felt that 100Hz looks much more stable, but I'm not sure whether there are any downsides to 100Hz widescreen TVs. Any thoughts?

Also, I'm thinking about getting a 100Hz TVs, but not sure which manufacturer is best. I looked at Sony and Panasonic TVs and can't see much between them. Which ones do you guys suggest?

Finally, is it worth the extra cost to go for 100Hz? Or is 50Hz enough? Or is it an individual thing?

All your comments would be much appreciated. :)

Ta,
    Ollie.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 50hz set, and whilst trying out R2 Pal (from my brothers collection) discs I notice alot of flicker- unwatchable.

Strange I don't notice 50hz flicker for normal TV.

However when I watch a R1 NTSC disc (which are 60hz) there is no flicker.

I only buy R1's. I have no R2's in my collecition.

100hz sets can cause problems, aritifacts, pixellation, etc..wheras 50hz set's won't.

3. Ian Carter

Ian Carter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

I've just put my 2peneth in the '100hz is better for dvd' camp. Not sure about anything else but to me 100hz and dvd are a match made in heaven.

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Ian Carter.

DVD as a source, connected via RGB, is about as good a source as you can get for a 100Hz set. As a result, you should notice fewer, if any, problems with digital processing (which are usually caused by poor sources, like a lot of Sky broadcasts). 'Pure 100Hz' is the safest bet of all of course, as a pure 100Hz set won't add any extra digital processing that can cause such problems - it will simply double the number of frames per sec (actually, the number of fields per sec, AABB or ABAB, which translates into double the number of frames per sec).

Finally, note that not all 100Hz TVs are created equal. There are significant differences between manufacturers and even between models from the same manufacturer. Choose wisely.

5. Ian Carter

Ian Carter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks mate - I didn't have too much time to go into depth.

I have a 32" Philips set with Digital natural motion etc etc, but am lucky enough to be able to turn all that off and just have the plain 100hz running - gives a far more natural and stable picture I find ,and a definate improvement over 50hz with dvd's.

6. oliver

oliver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...you have all been really helpful.

Which 100Hz widescreen models are "pure" 100Hz models? I am looking at Sony and Panasonic at the moment, but am open to other suggestions. My DVD player and surround sound amp are from Sony, so I'm tempted to buy the TV from them too.

Thank you again for your help, :)
    Oliver.

7. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My TV is a 100Hz set, with 3 different 100Hz modes designed to offer the ideal picture for various types of material.

Ironically, I only ever watch the TV in Progress mode, which runs at... 50Hz. That said, it is very different to watching in a normal 50Hz mode which I do notice flicker with.

Similar to Nathan, I also only ever watch R1 discs for these reasons.

8. Ian Carter

Ian Carter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My Philips 32pw9536 will run in 100hz only mode, but this was last years model - not sure about the new Pixel plus ones - there seems to be alot of problems with those.

Can't help you with any others I'm affraid although I'm pretty sure there are some Sony's that run 100hz only.

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oliver,

The Sony KV28LS60 (my own set) and KV32LS60 are 'pure 100Hz' sets by default. There are others which let you turn various features off so whichever set you decide to go with, just make sure that it gives you the option to do this. You'd be well advised to demo your shortlist too :)