100hz or 50hz what do you think

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by RecoilUK, Apr 19, 2001.

1. RecoilUK

RecoilUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I,ve just recently brought a DVD Player and now need a widescreen tv to go with it.

On my trips down the high street i,ve been trying to compare pictures between different tv,s.

Is it me or are there still problems with 100hz scanning, as the picture seems different(not as good) or is it the tv signals that the stores use :confused:

Yours views would be appreciated.

Thx

2. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I use a Tosh 46" WH08B.

50hz makes me feel sleepy, 100hz doesn't.

Wierd but true.

Might be less apparent on a smaller screen.

Regards Kev.

3. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +774
    This is another one of those debates that has cropped up many times on this site. I am in the 50Hz camp as I too believe that 100Hz is not perfected yet. But I have no problems with 50Hz - some can see a flicker. I also have to agree with you about the pictures in stores - I can't believe that these people are trying to sell these TVs and are feeding them with such weak, poor quality signals. I can't understand why they don't play more DVDs through them as demos - all I ever see if weak TV signals. I would say that if you are going to use DVDs all the time then 100Hz TVs are fine - but I have seen a few with Sky Digital and terrestrial signals and they leave a lot to be desired. Matter of taste I guess.

4. Tel boy

Tel boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I must admit I used to be against 100hz(hz'a) t.v.s, slight bluring to the picture creeping edges etc.My m8 got a new hz'a set recently and when watching it the picture is very good.(in fact if I had'nt been all over it like a rash I would not of known it was a hz'a) but look at the same set in the shop and forget it. I think the advice given so far is correct the quality of signal in high street shops is crap. Remember when you are in the shop you will probably be closer to the set than when in the house.I do think the signal into the set has a lot to do with it my m8 has cable dig into his but a good analogue signal would do the trick as well.It's hard to choose when the only place to view the set U want has a crap signal do U take the gamble or not.Ask the shop to put a direct signal in to the set from sky or ondig and see if that helps you.If they won't do that walk away to a shop that will.
    Good luck, Tel. :rolleyes:

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just returned a 100Hz Philips 32PW9525 becuase I didn't like the digital processing. I have just installed a 50Hz Sony 28DX30U and initally I was staggered by the screen flicker. I guess during the 2 weeks I had the 100Hz set, I got used to the stable picture. However, after watching the new TV all day today, I cannot see the flicker anymore. Moreover, the picture is razor sharp without any digital atrefact overprocessing.

After trying both now I can confirm that I am a 50Hz fan - and proud of it !!!

6. sailor bob

sailor bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a 100hz about 4 months ago and although unsure at the time I bit the bullet and got a 32" Philips. I could'nt go back to 50hz now. The flicker is very annoying and picture not as smooth. 100hz just takes a bit of getting used to.