1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

100hz on Tosh 42" RPTV?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by KevB_UK, Aug 10, 2002.

1. KevB_UK

KevB_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm going to buy a Toshiba 42" RPTV, the question is though which one! I don't need Dolby Digital or a digital tuner so I'm looking at the lowest spec of the current range.

The cheapest doesn't have 100hz and the one above it does, plus DD which I won't use.

Could Tosh owners please give their impressions on the 42" WS RPTVs?

2. Splinter

Splinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the 42WT29 - which is the 42" 100hz model with a digital tuner.

When I went into comet to compare the models I could really see the difference between the 50hz and 100hz. If you can afford go fo the 100hz, it's worth it.

The WT29 is going for 1419 at empire direct at the moment - pretty good deal.

3. KevB_UK

KevB_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the 100hz processing work well with fast moving stuff such as football or F1?

4. Splinter

Splinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say generally it's not that great with stuff like that - but I need a new aerial at the moment and the only sport I've seen is with awful picture and reception, so i'm not sure how much that has to do with it.

Go down to a local Comet and currys and you should be able to check it out.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've just bought a Tosh 42PW23P from Comet, and must disagree with the earlier comment that there was a much greater difference between the 50Hz and 100Hz models.

Now i'm what you would probably call Mr "joe bloggs - average user" - but i know my stuff when it comes to picture quality.

The reasons for getting the 50Hz model? Well i looked at the two side-by-side in comet, and the 50Hz looked much better. Even after a good play/look at the 100Hz, there was no way i could justify the price difference - plus the fact that it's on offer on comet online for about £1200 (instead of the £1400ish in store).

Just my 10p's worth :)

Paul

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I have a 40" Tosh RP 100Hz and it's great, even on football.

I'd NEVER go back to 50Hz, it would be a huge bacward step plus a big headache (literally!).

7. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    100Hz gives you the absence of flicker and better noise reduction.

And that is all.

Be prepared that most (if not all) 100Hz technology is extremely primitive and has a lot of significant bottlenecks. It is a tradeoff from start to finish. I have never been impressed with the picture quality of 100Hz sets, not even the new 'high res' systems. Actually, most the higher quality in those does not anything to do with the 'improvement' technology, but relaxing some other 'special effects' to mess up the picture less. My old TV was sharper than any of the new ones I have seen.

I say take a close look and decide for yourself. Only you can be the judge of what tradeoffs to make. And tradeoffs you will have to make unless you have lots - and I mean lots - of money to spend. :(

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have the the 42WT29 and am very impressed with it. One thing I have noticed is that the picture I get from digital (free to air) TV is far better than from analogue. I never watch analogue anymore. Frankly the picture looks rock solid and I never see any problems due to 100Hz. I would say this TV can really show up a poor source feed - so beware of comparisons in retailers showrooms - check out DVD or digital TV performance.

Antony.

9. KevB_UK

KevB_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies everyone. My local Currys has the 42WH18B for just over £1300 and I can't find it cheaper online so I'll probably be buying it at the weekend.

Thanks again!

10. DM1972

DM1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be aware that the Tosh RPTVs that Comet are selling are EX-display models.

I was about to buy one until they told me they would be off display.

I had a couple of guys try and find me a new one from another store anywhere in the country and they managed to find me the very last one. By the time I came to order it it had sold.

11. DM1972

DM1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW, I bought the newer model from Empire for £1450 and it was delivered within 2 days.

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't do it .... you can get the 42WT29B from empiredirect for £1419. This months Home Cinema Choice has a review and also points out how good it is off digital.

Antony.

13. KevB_UK

KevB_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't see anything wrong with buying an ex-display model, as long as the price is right, thanks for the warning though.

14. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Earlier this year I bought a new, boxed Tosh RP TV.
    Lasted 2 weeks, repaired, still not working right. Repaired again, still not right.
    As the only one left was an ex-display model, I settled for this (with £200 off). No problems at all, still going strong, much better picture than the original 'new' one when it worked!

No, there's nothing wrong with ex-display models, sometimes you can get lucky!

15. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Not all of them. If you order through their website, then the items are NEW unless specified. Mine was anyhow - it was still sealed with the manufacturers packing when it arrived here. And it was on offer in their web site (not in store) meaning i saved over £200!!

16. DM1972

DM1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to the staff in Comet they are all ex shop display models that are being sold at £1397. Even models sold through the website are sourced from shops.

17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, unless they have both managed to get hold of undamaged packaging and Toshiba tape, and the "ex-display" models are PERFECT in quality (which i would doubt if they HAD been on display) then i guess this is some kind of rumor.

Anyhow, it's illegal to sell used goods as new without making this clear when being bought!!! Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but more unlikely to happen with a large retailer as they'd face much stiffer penalties.

If you can come up with some kind of proof, then i'd love to have it, as i'd take them to the cleaners :)

18. KevB_UK

KevB_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just went to buy my TV and the 42WH18B had been reduced to £1197, so I got the last one left which was lucky!