100hz buzz.. sony kv32ls60

timswf

Standard Member
Reaction score
hi.. I've looked through posts about this .. but am still confused..

I've just had my Philips 32PW6515 replaced by John Lewis.. 14 months old.. it went in for repair with an auto switching off bug and a buzz from the speakers. Some weeks later - switching off cured.. but they couldn't fix the buzz .. but agreed to swop out the TV.. so I went for the Sony ..having seen some favourable comments here..

Picture is great. Sound is great... except .. even with the speakers muted there's an intrusive buzz/hum from the set.

I tried to listen to sets in shops since to see if I have a dud.. but generally they're too noisy to tell.. a man in a Sony shop said that's just a feature of 100hz sets...Please can you help with some questions..
Is it normal?
Have I got a dud?
Should I put up with it?
Am I paranoid?

Thanks for your help..

Rgds

Tim

My Sony KV32FX66 buzzes too - the one I looked at in the shop didn't (had my ear up against the set to check). I would be interested in seeing how many others do this.

My Sony FS70 has a buzz. Yes you can hear it if the sound is off but I have to admit that I just can't get used to watching a tv with no sound.
With the sound on there is no buzzing to be heard. My previous sub-woofer had a loud hum/buzz but my new Tannoy one is fine and I can leave it on all the time. It seems the problem is not confined to just TVs

My LS60 has slight buzz too, but i think if i wasnt for these forums, i wouldnt know what a buzzing tv was.

All TVs make some noise because of the transformer, but unless you've got sonic hearing, you shouldn't be able to hear it when you're sitting on the sofa. I can't hear any buzzing on my LS60 at all unless I go and put my ear near the back of the TV.

The man in the Sony shop who told you that it's a feature of 100Hz sets in particular is wrong (but no surprise, given the staff that work in Sony shops).

I went through two Philips PW6515s and there was a hum coming from them both, even when muted. Both sets went back for more serious problems however.

Originally posted by jcan
I can hear mine from at least 8' away - doesn't sound good does it?
No it doesn't. Especially as you say you put your ear up to the set in a store and that one made no noise.

You'll find some sets buzz more during high contrast (bright) scenes as well due to the use of poor quality power supplies.

Hi,

My FX66 which i got last week makes a slight buzzing sound, but i have got used to it now, if gets any worse then ill kick up a fuss.

Well pleased with the quality of the Set!!

Cheers

Dal:cool:

That is the reason why my last 2 Sony TVs have been returned (LS35 and FX66). Like you say, the buzz can be heard from about 2/3 metres away from the set and is extremely annoying. So at the moment, I'm in TV limbo, unsure of whether to chance it and get a LS60 or to just be done with bells and whistles and get a JVC AV28R25.

Originally posted by Stiesto
unsure of whether to chance it and get a LS60 or to just be done with bells and whistles and get a JVC AV28R25.
I've had one of those as well ... didn't buzz from what I remember, but had other problems (RGB was just too damn dark).

I had a JVC AV28R25 and it certainly DID buzz from the centre speaker. However the second one didn't but it had focus problems so it went back too.

John

An engineer friend of mine also says that buzzing IS a feature of 100Hz sets. Its something to do with the Scan Coils used in 100hz sets. They're laquered differently to 50Hz sets and there isnt really anything you can do about it. However, he did say the intensity of the buzzing can vary from set to set so it might be worth getting an exchange and hope for the best

Hmm, I wonder, has anyone here ever tried any soundproofing methods to, at least, suppress said buzzing. A mate of mine said he read an article about 3 months ago claiming of some special paint stuff that u apply to the inside of the TV that cures it. Certainly raised my eyebrow when he told me.

...for the wise advice..

contacted john lewis.. it is going back..I can either have another 32pwls60 .. or another model..

tricky.. what would you advise?

rgds

tim

To be honest, you'll be hard pushed to find a TV without some kind of quirk that annoys. If I were you, (due to the fact the LS60 is probably the best all rounder in its range) I would get another LS60.....you may have just been unlucky the first time around. If the same or another problem occurs in the replacement, maybe then consider a different model. At the end of the day though, its down to you...but I certainly know the situation your in at the moment, Im currently in it too.

guys, my FQ75, FQ80 and 2 DX100s all buzzed. The 80 was the worst, especially with whites on screen.

I must say, it certainly isnt looking good for Sony and their buzzing TVs. Astonbilla, how bad was the buzzing, in general, on the sets that you had? Could it be heard from 2/3 metres away....oh, and what you using now then if those went back? Suddenly, 100Hz doesnt seem as attractive as it once appeared....

dont get me wrong, i sent those sets back for different reasons and they spanned 2 years. My set at the mo is a philips 9607 which i really find hard to like due to the documentary feel of oixel plus.

The philips doesnt buzz by the way.

Will all the Sonys bar the FQ80, the buzzing was bearable from 2-3 metres. annoying yes, but to me it seemed to calm down after a while. Until switching on the next day again etc.

The FQ80 was scary biccies, i really was waiting on it toasting the house. The buzzing was so loud and so in your face.

Dont be put of Sonys guys, after changing brands - i am going right back to them with my tail between my legs. They really do make some of the best CRTs in the world.

My Samsung 42" WS, 100Hz set sits in prime position in the front room and is utterly silent of all buzzing or other unwelcome noises.

Sony sets have always looked sexy and sold expensive, but over the years, they have suffered from all sorts of technical faults from poor geometry to barrelling etc etc - and I don't rate the sound quality much in many models!

Their quality reputation came from the amount of Sony monitors and tape machines used in the broadcast environment, but then most of them were made in Japan and not in Europe - which frankly is the clue!

I had a Sony Trintron in 1973 and to be honest, the present WS Sony set I have, shares some of the same faults - including the famous high tension zapping noise every so often from the back of the tube.

Nice TVs - shame about the quality control...

Originally posted by Budville
An engineer friend of mine also says that buzzing IS a feature of 100Hz sets. Its something to do with the Scan Coils used in 100hz sets. They're laquered differently to 50Hz sets and there isnt really anything you can do about it. However, he did say the intensity of the buzzing can vary from set to set so it might be worth getting an exchange and hope for the best
There have been many complaints about 50Hz sets buzzing as well, as this and other threads have demonstrated. So buzzing occurs on both 50Hz and 100Hz sets and is not a feature that's unique to 100Hz.
Originally posted by Stiesto
If I were you, (due to the fact the LS60 is probably the best all rounder in its range) I would get another LS60.....you may have just been unlucky the first time around.
Agree, particularly as my LS60 cannot be heard to buzz unless I put my ear up to the back of the set and particularly as buzzing will indeed vary from set to set.
Originally posted by astonbilla
Dont be put of Sonys guys, after changing brands - i am going right back to them with my tail between my legs. They really do make some of the best CRTs in the world.
They definitely do. The clarity of the images are superb.

...after those two buzzy ls60s I'm now the proud owner of a nice new loewe aventos 3981 zw (platinum).. a bit dearer.. but

complete silent.. cracking picture... far better than the sony.. clever menus ..picture in picture and cute resizing for aspect ratios.. and a "curtains" effect when you switch it off..

marvellous

phew

Heh, well done.

I hear this a lot, if all else fails, hit the wallet and buy a Loewe. They were also the first lot to built asthetically pleasing sets (IMHO)

Originally posted by timswf
I'm now the proud owner of a nice new loewe aventos 3981 zw (platinum).. a bit dearer.. but

complete silent.. cracking picture... far better than the sony.. clever menus ..picture in picture and cute resizing for aspect ratios.. and a "curtains" effect when you switch it off..

marvellous
Where did you buy your Loewe Aventos 3981ZW from? I'm seriously interested in this set but have only seen it going at EmpireDirect.co.uk. Due to bad experiences, I want to avoid them (the company, not the TV set) but they have the set for an attractive £954.37. I would be interested to know what you paid for your set (unless you got it from Empire).

Cheers

hi.. nice price you have there.. I got it from john lewis.. £1199 ... special order ..didn't seem as dear paying the extra from the nls60 I sent back... if anyone's seen it in a shop I could pricematch it with...

rgds

tim

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom