100Hz and VP50/50Pro

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by norge, May 31, 2008.

1. norge

norge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have a 29inch CRT Grundig TV. I am happy with it but soon I will be upgrading to a flat panel LCD.
    My TV has not the 100Hz feature and during fast actions it is ok maybe except during football players appear hazy...but it does not bother me that much.

Do flat panels show this defect more than CRT TVs of the same size? I understand a bigger screen shows this defect even more. So the neccessity of 100Hz feature on LCD/Plasma panels?

If the panels do not have the option of 100Hz, will a video scaler like VP50 or VP50Pro have the 100Hz feature option to be switched on?

Thanks

2. Speedoguy

Speedoguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +638
    Hi norge :)

I've had 2 LCD's the later had 100HZ ability and whilst this improved football motion handling it was still no match for my current plasma in this regard.CRT still has the edge though in handling motion over my plasma but your correct in that the bigger screen area does highlight the defect more.

Go and see for yourself though as some people notice this effect more than others.:smashin:

Can't see a scaler being that much of a help in this regard but as I don't have one I can't answer that.(not yet I don't anyway)

3. PaulWilliam

PaulWilliam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    A video processors will output at 50hz. I am not sure if they will output at 100hz.

However, you can combine a video processor with a 100hz TV, and the TV will add 50 frames per second to the 50 frames per second presented to it by the video processor.

I do like 100hz as it does make the picture more solid / stable and with better motion handling.

4. norge

norge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    So you mean that a TV that has not got the 100Hz feature, if it is connected to a 50Hz output video processor, the final ouput on TV would be also 100Hz?

5. PaulWilliam

PaulWilliam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    No, if you have a 50Hz TV, then it will just display the 50 frames per seconds that the video processor outputs to it. It will not under any circumstances be able to display 100 frames per second.

You have to have a 100Hz TV to be able to display 100 frames per second. The TV justs 50 frames per second to the 50 frames per second output to it by the video processor.

6. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    What do you think the fabled "100Hz" does?

Basically 100Hz on a CRT is a way to refresh the picture twice as fast as usual because CRT phopsors fade so quickly, some (most) people see flicker at 50Hz.

On an LCD, 100Hz is a nonsense frankly. I'm not even sure what it's supposed to achieve since there's no flicker on an LCD.

On a plasma, maybe there's some sense to it, because some people can see plasmas flicker but they work so differently from a CRT, even a 48Hz signal doesn't look flickery to me.

My advice; don't get hung up on it. And get a plasma, not an LCD if you want to watch footy.

7. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +956
    I think it's supposed to interpolate additional frames in between the ones it is fed so as to reduce "LCD judder".