1000Mbps powerline

daveb975

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have just noticed a product from Belkin that claims to be 1000mbps over power:

dabs.com - Belkin Gigabit Powerline HD Starter Kit up to 1000Mbps (F5D4076UK)

I realise that the speed claims for these are always 'pumped up', but are these likely to be significantly faster than 200mbps ones in the real world?

I have 200mbps Netgear HDX101s at the moment. They have been great, but Netgear have now replaced this model with a new 200mbps one that will not even exist on the same network as mine, so I will find it increasingly difficult to find additional plugs.

I've read some pretty damning reports about these around various forums, some people haven't even been able to attain speeds equal to 200Mbps Homeplugs.

If you're thinking of buying some I'd advise holding on for a bit.

I've read some pretty damning reports about these around various forums, some people haven't even been able to attain speeds equal to 200Mbps Homeplugs.

Thanks. I will be sticking with my 200mbps ones for a while anyway as I won't need to change until I need to extend my network again.

Why not buy gigalan cards for the pcs and network via a giga port switcher?
Obviously you will have to set up the network yourself via IPs etc as there is no Gigalan router available, and if there was, it would not be cheap..

The gigalan cards, from memory are about 15 quid max per pc...

:thumbsup:

Obviously you will have to set up the network yourself via IPs etc as there is no Gigalan router available, and if there was, it would not be cheap..
No need to do that. Most people have a domestic router with an built-in DHCP server these days.

Well I spose from your response there is, I was chasing one down for years, never happened, had 2 pcs with gigalan, wanted to share files quick, couldn't due to the router speed..
I am guessing the routers that are available now, gigalan, quite expensive, I was selling this kit this time last year....
We had no such product..

Well I spose from your response there is, I was chasing one down for years, never happened, had 2 pcs with gigalan, wanted to share files quick, couldn't due to the router speed..
I am guessing the routers that are available now, gigalan, quite expensive, I was selling this kit this time last year....
We had no such product..

What is gigalan? I think your terminology needs checking :)

There is a very simple way to provide a solution to your first problem, but if you sell network kit then I'd guess you'd know how to do it...

We had no such product..
The point is you don't need a gigabit router. A switch will suffice. Connect the two PCs to a gigabit switch and then connect one port of the switch upstream to any old router.

What is gigalan? I think your terminology needs checking :)

There is a very simple way to provide a solution to your first problem, but if you sell network kit then I'd guess you'd know how to do it...

Doesnt "gigalan" technically mean 1,000,000,000 (2^9) LAN ports and "gigarouter" mean 1,000,000,000 (2^9) routers?

They were briefly discussed in the HPs FAQ and the link below testing them against 200Mb plugs was also brought up

Give em time and im sure they will be fine

that would be the new TeraLAN, too many noughts for GigaLAN :smashin:
the prefix "giga" stands for 10^9 and "tera" is 10^12

Source: Giga- - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Interesting table showing them all if you scroll down a bit)

If im not mistaken, Belkin are the only ones that have pursued this tech and trying to be first to it

the prefix "giga" stands for 10^9 and "tera" is 10^12

Source: Giga- - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Interesting table showing them all if you scroll down a bit)

If im not mistaken, Belkin are the only ones that have pursued this tech and trying to be first to it

well wed best tell the ITU and IEEE to rename all the industry standards as they are incorrect then LOL ;)

yes, Belkin are the only ones to "pursue" - otherwise called partnering with a tiny chipset vendor who has an idea ahead of the mainstream players, do a deal for exclusivity on the technology in the hope it works out ...it happens all the time - gamble on 10 products working out like that, and a couple will pay off ....probably not this one so far though :(

...in the meanwhile the market leaders - Intellon (those behind the Homeplug silicon and standard) are working on 400Mbps AV that will deliver a good 200Mbps, rather than a headline grabbing "gigabit" that delivers 120Mbps ......

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom