1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1000+ hrs HS20

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Splice, May 20, 2004.

1. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, i got to 1015 hours on my HS20 and still going strong, picture quality is still fantastic, only issues i have had are the convergence issue which really does not effect picture quality, occassional flicker that is only really noticable on a static screen i.e windows desktop, again a non issue, as i can get rid of this by turning the lamp up to full power for a few seconds and then turning back to economy....presto flicker gone. the only other issue has been a very slight yellowing of whites, that again is only really noticable on a windows desktop. generally very very happy with the hs20 and anyone thinking of getting one.....GO FOR IT!!!!!!!. I have run mine on low lamp, iris on, High altitude on (i believe that this slows down the degradation of the blue polariser... Yellowing) as this mode speeds up the fan, i really don't care about the extra fan noise... just crank the sound up an extra few db's. also i take the lid of approx every 60 to 100 hours to give the machine a blow out with compressed air, as i really am convinced that dust sitting on the panels for a prolonged amount of time=BAD!!!!. and it literally takes me 15 mins fom start to finish to clean, i also give the air filter a good blow out with the compressed air as well. again i would like to say if you are thinking of getting a projector.. see one of these babies pixel mapped through a HTPC running some 720p high def, and i defy you to see a better picture sub 7 grand...... love it love it love it!!!!!..... AND NO I DON'T WORK FOR SONY.. :smashin:
    By the way, anyone close to 1015.. sorry now 1016 hours that i have done on there HS20 yet.. or am i WINNING :laugh:

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, the HS20 is the best current LCD PJ available. Dust isn't really an issue IMO as the HS10/20 are designed well in this regard.

Still a little concerned that you've slight flicker & yellowing though :(

Hard to believe that this is available now for not much more than the AE500 & Z2 - £1500 :eek:.

Look forward to your 2000 hour report ;)

3. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    High Altitude mode ? Does that just speed up the fan ?

If so I think I'll be running it like that all summer !

4. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as far as i am aware the high altitude does just speed up the fan, there may be someone out there that can tell me different. The yellowing that i am seeing is very subtle but most
    definately there, i think all projectors that are used a lot will exhibit this to a degree. have a look at your hs10 with notepad at full screen and i wouldn't be suprised if you see this slight discolouration on yours. remember the ae100 saga with blue polarisers getting burnt, may be the same thing. obviously the hs10/20 don't run so hot so this would, i assume be a slower process. maybe the blue polarisers can be changed easy enough, haven's seen a service manual yet ANYONE!! :D . Kramer, it's funny you mention dust not a problem, i had a dust blob in mine a couple of days ago, big sod as well, gave it a blow out and it was still there, so had another go and finally got rid of it.well worth the 15 mins to clean it imo, mucho peace of mind knowing that big electronics killer, DUST ain't going to get the better of me. the flicker was again something i got occassionally with he ae100 and again was able to get rid of it by turning the lamp to full power for a few seconds, imo its just the way these vapour lamps burn/wear as after a while the lamp will remain perfectly stable for a while.

anyway... 2000 hours here i come :thumbsup:

all the best.... Splice.. :smashin: