1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1000 - 1400 in the kitty now what the hell do i get?!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by little_rock, Mar 15, 2005.

1. little_rock

little_rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys please give me some advice.

I got a baby coming in august and the mrs has sadi we can get a new tv for like 1000-1400 can you guys proffer some models i should consider in htis range. Ideally the bigger the better sizewise obviously!

thanks!

those connected world puppies sound kool!

thankyou guys

2. dingo8yobaby

dingo8yobaby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    worth looking at the samsung lw32a33 for 1399 @ dixons beleive it or not! its a 32 inch lcd which has had decent reviews and comes with hdmi input for future hdtv as well as component and scarts etc. have a look at the samsung website for more detailes/accurate information!

3. DOCTOR_d

DOCTOR_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Came close to buying an lw32a33 today but found no hdmi port !!!

The picture quality was very nice, but both motor racing and football had a bit of blur.... :(

I've spent the past week viewing lot's of different LCD/Plasmas and the best advice I can give is get the salesman to plug a DVD and take your own DVD disc.

4. dingo8yobaby

dingo8yobaby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    sory for the misinformation about hdmi but i got it from my copy of 'what video and widescreen tv' and samsungs official website states so in the specs!

5. DOCTOR_d

DOCTOR_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Maybe they have another version out ???

Read a similar thing regarding SONY LCD's, some have it and some don't.

6. little_rock

little_rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: I see they don't make that puppy in the 37" flavour. Ideally that's what I'd like. Think I might checkout the philips models, ahas anyone found any issues with their LCDs?

cheers

7. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Do a search for 9986 and buzzing. In the early days it was all a bit hellish. The early 9986's got recalled as they were prone to catching fire and the remote not working. This has all been sorted now but buzzing still seems to be a problem.

If you want the biggest for your money, check out the Plasma forum too. You can get 42" plasma's for the price of a 32" LCD but it would be marginal whether £1400 would get you a decent one.

8. BADA55

BADA55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am going to sound extremely biased because I own one and think its flippin brilliant. Check out the Sonix thread. I think from my research and checking out all the retail outlets that this is better than many other 26" models at over twice as much imo. Its way cheaper than you want to spend @ £499 for the 26" with maybe a 32" out soon (a 32" equivalent is available from eBuyer http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=83120) I think this is the best sub £1000 32" set on the market and possibly better than many way over that price imo. Most TV's dont have the right connections for HD yet so it may be worth buying a good and cheap one for a year or so and waiting for the dust to settle. Then there should be far more choice and you can use the cheap set in a bedroom possibly ;)

9. mickbarlow

mickbarlow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  10. BADA55

BADA55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi :) Yeah I find the the response time very good...(I thought it was 16ms on the Sonix but no matter;))....I have watched footy/formular 1/horse racing and most other sports and fast moving films and I cant see any lag/drag/blurring/ghosting at all after the set is set up properly to my tastes.
    I did have one frantic moment returning from a weekend away and no heat in the house (thermometer read 12 degrees-it felt much colder! ;)) It seems all LCD's dont like the cold and mine was no exception to that rule. I had amazing vapour-like trails following the cars in the Formular 1 on last Sunday week. I immediately switched it off because of possible moisture forming wherever inside it and warmed up my house for a few hours. After that everything was back to normal.
    Some of the more expensive LCDTV's and Plasmas have a pre-heat function I believe...No need for that facility on mine.....Unless I decide to live like an Eskimo of course! ;)

11. mickbarlow

mickbarlow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    sorry ya know what i meant, just read too many specs this morning.

12. little_rock

little_rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For some reason at the back of my head i hear a voice saying that plasmas are over andd getan lcd as well . . is this to be ignored .. all the negative press about plamsmas and their limited life and stuff . . .

13. BADA55

BADA55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As I said its still early days and best, if you need to buy something, not spending a lot or you may regret it big time by this time next year or certainly by the end of 2006.
    I'm not convinced with Plasmas myself. Time will tell and my guess is Plasmas will come down much more in price or will consumed by the LCD and Projector market.

14. little_rock

little_rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I hear ya . . as with everything the best thing is to prolly wait till the very last minute so prices come down as much as poss . . then when u cant contain yaself anymore start parting with the cash!

I am hoping lcd prices start falling . . . currently 37 incher looks at least to be 2000 plus :'(

Maybe i will setle for a 32 after all . . say do they make 34" these days?

Bloody hell there is so much info on thi site i am swamped!!!