100 vs 50 Hz, Integrated digital or normal

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by BigAl, Jan 22, 2002.

1. BigAl

BigAl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone shed some light on the following queries:

Will 100 Hz scanning provide a better picture for my DVD player, compared with 50Hz?

What is the difference between integrated digital tv and normal widescreens?

Would integrated digital provide better picture performance than normal.

I do not have cable or satelite sources and am concerned primarily with DVD and PS2 playback.

My set up includes the Pioneer DV737, so I am trying to get the best out of this. Your feedback is greatfully recieved.

Thanks
    Big Al

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends. If you can detect 50hz flicker or hear 50hz tvs whine, then the answer is yes. If not, the answer is no. The distance you sit from the tv will also impact upon this. The further back you sit, the better the 100hz, the closer you sit, the better the 50hz.

IDTV have an inbuilt digital tuner for digital terrestial television. Normal widescreen sets do not. You will need an external digital tv source with a normal widescreen set such as Digital Cable, Skydigital or ITV digital or the new external digital box if you want to get the digital channels and get anamorphic widescreen.

Depends on so many factors that you cant really answer this. However, i would say no overall. The biggest variable is the quality of the tv. An inbuilt digital tuner or an external box only really has the connections between the tv and the box to worry about. A decent scart lead and you shouldn't see any difference. Whereas a crap television is a crap television.

There are no anamorphic widescreen broadcasts an analogue television so you will need a digital tv source to get them so maybe an IDTV is your best option if you dont want to get sky or ITV digital. As it stands, only the DVD and the PS2 would take advantage of the widescreen set in your case.

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But don't buy an IDTV unless you know you'll get a good signal from your aerial!!!!!! You'll be wasting your money.

Check the ITV Digital site for coverage.

DaveP

4. sbrads2424

sbrads2424

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are IDTV owners going to do when ITV Digital goes bust?

5. Jimbob

Jimbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well nothing much.

If they did go bust only the premium pay channels would be lost and to be honest I doubt even that would happen.
    The government would have to step in and hand the license over to someone else to manage it such as the BBC who seem most keen on the format.

TBH it doesnt seem they couldnt do a worse job of it though this wont put me off from buying a Sony IDTV. I just want the WS broadcasts :)

Jimbob

6. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The picture from a good IDTV will be better than from a box and seperate TV, partly due to greatly shorter signal path, partly due to being properly matched to the TV, partly due to better quality.

Reasons for IDTV

RGB Scart saved for DVD, and you try daisy chaining more than 2 items.

Try and buy a Sony or Panasonic DTTV box

FTA BBC is better quality via terrestrial digital than Sky.

If you buy a box you can record one channel and watch another.

Easier general use. turn on TV press channel you want - that's it!

I think Sony have got about 50% of IDTV market!