100 strand twisted pairs.. diy

crossleymarko

Novice Member
ok so for my lrc channels im looking at diy cables.. i have 100 stand speaker cables and looking to better them and braid them to finish them off... with bannana plugs

looking at taking four cores of 100 strand or 79 for that matter and doubling up and twisting each pole.. then twisting together

what do we think...

hlpmeimdrowning

very interested in using cat 5 for speaker cable, Mr. Incredible, and your diagram is nice and simple, thanks! Can I ask a few questions?

1. What cable did you use? Where did you get it?
2. How many twists did you use?
3. Did you terminate the cables?

Thanks (and sorry for the thread hijack!)

Al

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
very interested in using cat 5 for speaker cable, Mr. Incredible, and your diagram is nice and simple, thanks! Can I ask a few questions?

1. What cable did you use? Where did you get it?
2. How many twists did you use?
3. Did you terminate the cables?

Thanks (and sorry for the thread hijack!)

Al
1. Can't remember what it was, but bought from CPC. It was a 305m roll. It did use solid cores though. The link to TNT-Audio has the spec they recommend.
2. It wasn't so much twists as braiding. The twist are a design of the CAT5 cable. Braiding over short lengths was OK and I managed a nice and tight finish. But over a 15m length it was impossible to do, so just did the best I could. In some places along the length there was little or no braiding.
3. Used Banana plugs to terminate.

crossleymarko

Novice Member
1. Can't remember what it was, but bought from CPC. It was a 305m roll. It did use solid cores though. The link to TNT-Audio has the spec they recommend.
2. It wasn't so much twists as braiding. The twist are a design of the CAT5 cable. Braiding over short lengths was OK and I managed a nice and tight finish. But over a 15m length it was impossible to do, so just did the best I could. In some places along the length there was little or no braiding.
3. Used Banana plugs to terminate.
found this at maplins

Cat 6 Network Cable UTP Solid : Cat6 Network Cables : Maplin Electronics

any good

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
"FFRC" is an acronym for the "end result" - a Full Frequency Range Cable!! Nothing to do with the type of CAT cable. The link you give looks fine to me, assuming it's solid core.

crossleymarko

Novice Member
ok well heres an idea...2.5mm T&E solid cores striped out and doubled up so double 2.5mm for each pole.

twisted single + & - x2
Then twisted together...
put braid and bannana plugs on... whalla!

what do we think

ignore one end... its just a play around

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q950T Soundbar Review, Filmmaker Mode, Disney+ $30 for Mulan, AV news and more
Top Bottom