1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

100" screen required

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bonzaimaster, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Bonzaimaster

Bonzaimaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the market for a 100" 16:9 screen for my newly purchased Z2. What is the recommended options/vendors please?

By the way, I have already had a look though the previous messages in case this question has been answered but I'm only seeing about 18 threads in this forum? Is this right?

Binesh

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably more in the dedicated screen forum ;)

Moving there.......

3. Bonzaimaster

Bonzaimaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oops! Thanks for the pointer.

4. Bonzaimaster

Bonzaimaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Done my research now and ordered a slimline from drh.

Thanks

5. sanj

sanj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Mines arriving tomorrow :clap:

6. Bonzaimaster

Bonzaimaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent. Let me know how you get on with mounting it.

7. sanj

sanj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mine arrived at 0845 this morning!!

Thanks to the guys at DRH - MR Screens :smashin:

I will be mounting the screen this afternoon when a mate comes around to give me a hand.

First impressions are that the casing is good quality, light (6 kg), hence easy to move around and get into position. I can't
    imagine we will have too many problems getting it attached
    to the wall.

The electrics regarding the switch don't look too difficult either. Luckily my mate has recently rewired his gran's house completely, so knows what to do regarding the switch.

I will let you know our impressions of the screen asap. Please remember this is my first screen so I won't have anything to compare it against!

Now off to demo some Kef Q5 speakers, Q9C centre, and Q2DS rears. Also some KHT5005 as well.

Sanj :)

8. mrapbp

mrapbp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    I would also be interested to hear your thoughts on this. I am currently looking at this or a Nexnix screen but am a bit worried due to the DRH being matt white and the Nexnix being 1.2 gain.

Not sure if it matters but from what I can gather you might as well project onto a painted wall??

9. sanj

sanj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi all.

My 100" screen is now up and running. :clap:

Mounting the screen was fairly easy. It is now mounted above a set of patio doors and having asked DRH for an extra 10" black drop at the bottom has worked out perfect in that it now blocks the whole of the doors. I did this with the intention of utilising the screen to block out light and not bother with any curtains behind it. As it turns out I will have to put a blind behind it because the screen material does let some light through. I suppose if the material was any thicker it would not fit inside the slimline casing.

We live in a two year old house, so fittings I utilised were the heavyweight Interset plasterboard fixings from B&Q. I only used two of these since the screen is quite light.

Wiring was a doddle. The only thing that I found disappointing was the switch housing that came with the screen is somewhat 'industrial use' rather than one that you would expect in the home. This is only a minor gripe, (Mr Screens), please just consider it constructive feedback.

I am impressed with the quality of the screen, it hangs
    almost perfectly flat. I do have some slight curl on the edges of the screen but then it does not detract from movie watching and I couldn't justify the expense of a tab-tensioned screen.

mrapbp, the screen brings out the good qualities of the Z2. Being an ex-user of a sand coloured wall for a projection screen, the slimline is a world away from 'just' using a painted wall. Saying that if you read the 'goo' thread there's nothing wrong with a painted wall as long it has the right paint on it! :)

In terms of whether a 1.2 gain screen would be any better I cannot tell you. As I have not physically looked at any other screens, just their specifications and now have no inclination to do so. I'm just going to enjoy the one I've bought.

Ask yourself how often you will use the screen? If it is going to be a very large number of hours then by all means spend more on the screen. But for my usage this screen is perfect in terms of price/performance.

One last thing I recommend the Mark Grant component cable, it has improved the image quality coming from my Sony 725 Dvd player and is well worth the money.

Hope this helps,

Sanj

10. bx16v

bx16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could someone provide me with a link to this MRH crowd ?

Cheers

11. sanj

sanj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6